A New Home for my Karl Benz Engine

Great build.

Seeing the tires you made made me think of wheelchair tires and if they would have worked??? Definitely not as cool.

Thank you all for the kind words and likes.
There is a video of a model Benz motorwagon that is RC controlled on the internet.
It has stop and go and steering capabilities.
I will try and find it and post a link.

Ray

Thanks Robert for the video.

I had mentioned earlier that the engine looked like it was too far forward and would cause some problems later on. Then the real problem struck me, the engine is too big. I had used many different sources to size the wagon frame foot print and came up with a size that would work for me. I was quite happy that my frame was very close to the scale the others had used but I forgot one thing my engine was not at the same scale as the frame. When I built my engine I used materials I had on hand. Sizes that worked and looked good together not to any scale.

I am going to continue on with the same engine and frame but with some modifications and still try to end up with a recognizable model of the original. First was to move the engine back 2" by installing two steel plates to the frame. Move the rear wheels higher on the frame but that would at the cost of the rear leaf springs.

See the plates I added for the engine here.
IMG_2182.JPG

Side view.
IMG_2184.JPG

With the engine.
IMG_2189.JPG

Side view
IMG_2190.JPG

The frame is lower to the ground and the engine is back out of the way.
The front wheel now is at the right height in relation to the frame.

Looks much better to me now what do you think?

Thanks for looking
Ray

Tim I had not thought about it that way but you may be right.

Ray

We are at 28" overall length and for that size the wheels needed to be larger to keep to scale. I don't think it looks too bad so I will continue.
I worked on the front wheel and mount.
IMG_2203.JPG

IMG_2201.JPG

IMG_2205.JPG

I have some work to do on the mower and then we will be gone the rest of the week.
I need to come up with a gear reduction unit to lower the speed.

Thanks for looking
Ray

Back