A New Home for my Karl Benz Engine

Been working on the rear wheels.
Rim, hub,and spokes.
IMG_2137.JPG

Assembled and aligned close to round. (Close enough for this application)
IMG_2138.JPG

The whole family.
IMG_2142.JPG

I did paint them but will take the pictures tomorrow when dry.

Thanks for looking
Ray

I started bending the main frame member and I think it may work out all right.
With nothing to go on except pictures it is a real wild guess as to the size and shape.

IMG_2150.JPG

I know I will be drilling holes for mounting supports and other attachments into this tubing and I am afraid it won't be up to the task.
I turned these slugs of solid aluminum and pressed them into the tubing for strength.
IMG_2153.JPG
IMG_2154.JPG

Thanks for looking
Ray

Over the last few days I have been making little pieces and parts for the main engine mounts when I had time.
Today I made the rest of the parts and assembled them.

IMG_2157.JPG

I put the solid aluminum slugs in the rear frame tubes so the u-bolts would not crush the tubing.

IMG_2159.JPG

It maybe overkill but now I have one rigid frame to work with.

IMG_2161.JPG

I mounted the engine to the frame and did a mock up to see how everything is fitting.

IMG_2163.JPG

My engine is a little longer in relation to the original engine so it may have to be moved further back but I will wait and see how the rest of the build turns out first.

Thanks for looking
Ray

Any idea what they used for a transmission? My father-in-law at one time had a drawing of a 1903 Curved-dash Oldsmobile. We're headed there this weekend, I'll see if I can get a photo or two if he still has it.

Bruce

The first Benz auto didn't have a transmission.
The clutch was just a roller that tightened the drive belt.
The drive belt went directly to the differential hub that fed power to the rear wheels via the drive chains.

Ray

The first Benz auto didn't have a transmission.
The clutch was just a roller that tightened the drive belt.
The drive belt went directly to the differential hub that fed power to the rear wheels via the drive chains.

Ray
I think the CLA still has that?

I bought a 5ft piece of solid round rubber 3/4" in diameter to see if I could make the tires out of it.
I cut it in half on my 4X6 band saw.
IMG_2168.JPG

I clamped a couple of scrap boards to the table for guides and did my best to center the cut in the rubber.
Close up of the setup.
IMG_2166.JPG

It worked well and I even hit close to the center of the rubber strip.
IMG_2169.JPG

I coated the rims and the rubber with contact cement and let set for 15 minutes.
I worked around the rim pressing the rubber in place an inch at a time and then cut them to length.
IMG_2176.JPG

IMG_2179.JPG

IMG_2180.JPG

Very happy with the results so now the wheels have tires.

Thanks for looking
Ray

Back