A brass dividing set I made for my rotary table

No way here to cast them. Just saw them out of thick stock,and file,file,file!!.

A rotary file for the finger indents ( the rasied portion of the finger grips ) ??
Wow, I am impressed!!!:phew:, just seems to me it would be alot quicker to make castings...IHMO

I'm not set up here to make castings. If I did,I'd still have to make a pattern. Just easier for a 1 off to be hand made. The shape on many things might be better off being cast. It just depends.

There are no indents on the wing nut. If I wanted them,I'd put a large,egg shaped rotary file in the mill,and mill the indents into the wing nut.

Oh, OK..
I was looking at the wingnuts...in your pics..
looks like they have a raised lip around the edges
Great work though...cudos

Wow
That is gorgeous! I am a true newbie but it is projects and tools like that that inspire me to no end.
The pump drills are amazing and look like something I can attempt, especially as I am a wood turner and can make the handle out of some wood I have.
Any more info on them wiould be most appreciated. And again beautiful work, thanks for sharing it.
Jeff G
new owner of a Logan 9B-17

Thank you. More projects will be appearing in this column.

I just noticed that several of the posts with pictures that I thought were lost are in the articles section,under gunsmithing & under machining.

George,
As with everything you do, stunning and incredible!

Oh ya,,,,,,,,Those look so nice George.
They look outstanding in Brass. That is outstanding work you have done there, I like the way you knurled the knobs as well. Really looks fine.

:thumbzup:

Last edited:
I have collected old fashioned knurls over the years,and letter stamps with serifs. Nothing looks worse than to make an antique looking piece and diamond knurl it(they DID have diamond knurls even in the 18th.C..They just don't look right to me). Sin #2 is to use modern,plain GOTHIC stamps. They just RUIN the piece. If I could not find OLD stamp sets(I make them sometimes),I'd AT LEAST make a teeny straight chisel,and add the serifs as a must. The biggest problem if you can't find old,artistic stamp sets,is you don't get the beautiful 5's,2's,7's,and 6's that some of them had back then.

My favorite set must be nearly 18th.C. at least,maybe older. It has true Roman letters with thicks and thins as well as serifs. The stamps are made of crudely rolled steel,with 2 flat sides,and 2 bulged sides,from primitive rolling. AND,the striking ends were left angular from being hot cut off with a chisel. It was left to the user to grind them square. The set was never used. Typically,tools like saws were supplied unsharpened,and chisels were supplied un handled. They were frugal back then!!

The brass dividing plates are actually that deep gold color from aging. I NEVER touch the outfit without nitrile gloves because the color has developed so beautifully. I made that outfit in the 70's for my 6" rotary table,which I still AM FORCED to keep!! Have larger ones now,too.

Back