A brass dividing set I made for my rotary table

george wilson

Global Moderator
H-M Supporter Gold Member
This was made,believe it or not,by using ordinary dividers to step off the spaces for the holes. Light,concentric lines were turned into the brass to provide lines to use for stepping off the distances. This was done in the lathe. I soon got very quick at it. A tiny tightening of the knob coming very close to the required number of holes for the next circle,and a second adjustment,and I'd be right on. This disc is made for 90:1 ratio of the rotary table,not the 40:1 of regular dividing heads.

The small numbers you see on the brass plate are 1/32" high,with serifs. I spent many years looking for old stamp sets with serifs. To make a nice item,and use the regular"Gothic" stamps you can get today is just not suitable.

Pump drills,which I made quite a few of years ago,were used to drill the holes initially. Then,I used a small center drill(as used in the lathe) in a drill press,to drill the holes deeper,and to add the countersinks that help guide the indexing pin into place.

I am not recommending the use of brass for index plates,but I have used this device carefully for about 35 years without scarring it up. This is what comes of working in a museum!! Beautiful,but not the most practical metal.

The knobs were made and knurled with old fashioned rounded knurls that I have made by running blank knurls against taps. I need to post knurl making here,but I am a bad photographer,and really need to re shoot some of my pictures first.

The brass disc is 1/4
thick,and 5"in diameter. The color shown in these pictures is the true color of the brass. I only handle it with nitrile gloves to not disturb the patina. The brass is 260 alloy.

P.S.: I have decided to include a picture of pump drills I made,as you may not know what they are. They work on the same principal as the old child's game of whizzing a button back and forth between the fingers,suspended on strings. The leather strip is wound onto the steel shaft with a quick twist of the little brass wheel that tightens the drill bits in. Only takes a second. Then,the drill is placed on the punch mark,and the wooden handle is pressed down,starting the drill spinning. The inertia of the brass flywheel carries the steel shaft around till the leather cord is wrapped around the steel shaft again. The wooden cross bar is raised up higher when the leather is all wrapped up. Then,you push down on the cross bar to spin the flywheel the other way,and so on.

This whole operation takes just a few seconds to do. The thing is,you can drill exceedingly accurately placed holes with a pump drill,and some clock makers or jewelers still use them. If you see that the hole is a little off center,just tilt the drill to bring it back. Only good for small holes,usually of 1/16" or less.

I made the bits. They have a 1/8" shank,and the cutting ends are hammered flat,and filed to a vee shaped tip,the lips filed to cut like an ordinary drill. The drill bits are 1/8" drill rod,hardened and drawn to dark straw.

dividing head 2.jpg dividing plate 2.jpg dividing plate knob.jpg dividing plate.jpg PICT0001.JPG

Beautiful work, as usual George.

This will be an article in the machining projects section of the home page.

Nelson

Thank you,Nelson,and EdK. I was not sure if I posted the dividing plate before,and the pump drills are new,because I just scanned my slides for the first time ever. Glad you are enjoying the pictures. I'll warn you that some of my pictures are not very good,and many date before digital cameras.

You remove the regular handle on the rotary table,and mount the dividing unit on the shaft,just like commercial dividing outfits for rotary tables work.

260 alloy brass is available as sheet material. 360 can be had in round stock or sheet form. 360 doesn't work with lead based solder,for general info. It works fine with lead free solder,or silver solder.

360 brass looks a little pinkish when compared to 260,if you see the 2 polished kinds side by side. By itself,360 doesn't look pinkish.

Go on Ebay and look at metals and alloys for sale. Plenty of 260 there. I just bought a 19" x 23" x 1/8" sheet for about $185.00.

The 360 machines cleaner than 260. I just used to have 260 readily available when I could buy material from the Colonial Williamsburg main warehouse. That's what they stocked in sheet.

Beautifull !!!
Where did you manage to find that really cool brass wingnut ???

You have to make the wingnuts,especially if you want the brasses color to match.

Back