8520 Knee Bevel Gears

In general, Clausing has a lot of parts still available for machines that they or Atlas Press once made. However, AFAIK all such parts are US made and made in relatively small quantities. So parts for machines made back in the early or mid 20th century are going to seem expensive if you are like most Americans only used to the lower end of Chinese-made equipment. In any case, $83 sounds OK.

As far as the spindle nose goes, it would be nice if Johansson had used R8 when they designed the mill but they didn't. Fortunately 2MT collet sets are still available and will work fine.

I got it with a keyless chuck, but only up to 1/4"

Having trouble finding a budget friendly 1/2" keyless chuck and a 2mt arbor with a drawbar already drilled. LMS has an arbor on Amazon but the chuck end is 2JT. All the cheap chucks are J33. Last arbor I tried to modify was difficult. This one being tapered on both ends, will have to be pressed into the chuck and the chuck either directly in the lathe jaws or tighened onto a piece of bar stock. I know the position of the drawbar threads doesn't have to be precise, but there are alot of variables.

Am I worrying for nothing?

I'm not that worried for the 2MT vs R8.. I have some fly cutters I'll need turn arbors down for, but most things will be fine. I have endmill holders for larger cutters.

I got it with a keyless chuck, but only up to 1/4"

Having trouble finding a budget friendly 1/2" keyless chuck and a 2mt arbor with a drawbar already drilled. LMS has an arbor on Amazon but the chuck end is 2JT. All the cheap chucks are J33. Last arbor I tried to modify was difficult. This one being tapered on both ends, will have to be pressed into the chuck and the chuck either directly in the lathe jaws or tighened onto a piece of bar stock. I know the position of the drawbar threads doesn't have to be precise, but there are alot of variables.

Am I worrying for nothing?

I'm not that worried for the 2MT vs R8.. I have some fly cutters I'll need turn arbors down for, but most things will be fine. I have endmill holders for larger cutters.
I saw that AllIndustrial had one.
I was thinking of getting. I have one for for my drill press from a company no longer avail... The chuck is great, but the more I used it, the more I appreciated how fast I can do a keyed chuck.

Back