8520 Knee Bevel Gears

Zertsman

Registered
Registered
Just brought home an 8520 that needs a bit of love and care. I can see the teeth on the bevel gears for the knee are just reaching and really look worn. There is gap between the teeth and the individual teeth are more triangular shape and pointed on the ends. Is there a place to purchase these gears, or something close that can be modified to fit? Maybe blanks that can be bored out to fit the existing shafts?

I have a lathe and can modify gears, but do not have the equipment or expertise to make a matching set of bevel gears.

Any help is appreciated.

Need more info.
At least close dimensions of each gear, tooth count, shaft size. Some pics would help to.
There are places that you can buy gears, but we need a lot more info to try to find a close enough match.

I just got it home today.. Wanting to replace my round column mill with a knee mill. I'll need to take it apart. I think I'll have to take the whole knee off to get the shafts out and the gears off. Was hoping for a cleanup and lubricate. I guess for such an old machine, some wear is inevitable.

With tooth count of each gear and some overalls, I'm assuming it's possible to order a set. Correct?

I’ve heard that Clausing has parts for our older machines . Have you looked up the part numbers yet ?

Clausing part numbers are 341-019 and 341-018.

I had read that here. had doubts they'd have parts for something so old, but called and they are on their way.

good advice here as usual. Thanks for everything.

I had read that here. had doubts they'd have parts for something so old, but called and they are on their way.

Parts for the 8520 should be a viable business, they made a bunch of them.

how much did you pay? just curious. Every thing from them seems to require you to give your arm and leg... sometimes both legs.

The gear on top of the screw was 140ish and the gear on the knee handle shaft was almost 50. since one was cheap, I got the both, because they'll fit each other. Had they both been expensive, I'd be following the advice above. It's all about the ratio of the 2 gears and how they fit the shafts. It's a fiddly process, but fully doable.

I just wanted to clean it up and have a mill with a knee. I think the capacity of this mill is below the round column one I have, but it's round column mill. I get tired of re-setting up after moving the head. Also the R8 collets are nice. This little thing has smaller collets. I'll need to get new arbors for my chuck and boring head.

I'm missing the fine feed handwheel as well.. they want 85 dollars for it.. guess I'll make one.

Back