8 day clock

Hello Brian,
where can we get the best deal for Brass Sheet Cz120 thanks.

HI ifredaj

I get my brass from IAN T COB in the UK but that is a long way from you. Postage may be just to high?

BRIAN.

G'Day Brian thanks for the information will check it out might have to see if I can get something closer to home.

The next drawings

More of my poor drawing efforts ! only I could make 1/4 " larger than 7/16" sorry...

BRIAN.

img114.jpg img115.jpg P1011333.jpg P1011335.jpg

The Dial

When you get to this stage you realy are getting near to the finish

to engrave the minute divisions some method of dividing is required.

the blank can be screwed to a wooden face plate as in the photo.

The dial posts are shown mounted on the front plate.when fixing the dial feet to the dial, the feet are placed in the posts and a small dot of epoxy placed on the top, the dial is then placed into position. a card disk placed on the minute shaft provides the alignment.

Engraving the dial.jpg P1011336.jpg img119.jpg P1011338.jpg img118.jpg

Hello Brian,
Things have been a bit slow here lately busy with life situations,I've got my lathe need to make a bench for it would like to get a set of qctp for it.
Some half hard brass will arrive soon got it on Trademe New Zealand version of Ebay will have a go at the grand wheel first see how it goes. Will be
a few weeks of yet.
Thanks.

Hi ifreaj
Good news I am at this moment puting together A new thread on cutting clock gears so it mAy be out before you start making chips,
If not, the best advice I can give is dont pay attention to figures given for the depth of the tooth.
I folow the advice of John Wilding . Cut two adjacent teeth gradualy until the tip meets in a point
, then lock up the unused slides, and cut the the remaining teeth at that setting. I cannot reach the high speeds he recomends( 4000 rpm ) but I get along quite well with 1500 Just feed a bit slower.
If you require any help feel free to ask.
BRIAN.

Hello Brian,
I will be some time off before I start. Will wait for your article will be cutting wheels on a drill mill which also is top speed 1500 rpm
will be using a Dbit and fly cutter.
Thanks ifred

Pallet arms

I think this is the last part that is different from the begineers clock. the pallets are held in place with locktite
similar to most of the joints on this clock.

img117.jpg

I think this is a better looking version.

Next thing is a mod to the drive assembly.
I had a problem with the bronze cable, the lay of the cable was causing it to twist as it ran over the centering roller sometimes this was so bad it caused the clock to stop!

Also SWMBO did not like it when the drive weight came near the floor as it got in her way when cleaning..

These problems have been cured by replacing the cable with monofiliment fishing line and adding a pully to the system,
and removing the centering roller.
Normally adding a pully would require the drive weight to be doubled,
but the improvement in smoothness has meant only a small increase was necessary.
Overall I think this has improved the general appearance.

img124.jpg

P1011439.JPG

Regards BRIAN.

img117.jpg img124.jpg P1011439.JPG View attachment 94966

Its been a long time getting to this job, but the clòock needs a cover it just dont like dust and I have to keep cleaning the movement.

So glass with a brass frame seems like a good idea

Always keen to by new tools so I got a angle clamp.

P1012137.JPG

Great but it only holds two strips I nead to hold three, so I made a few mods .

P1012138.JPG

P1012139.JPG

And this was the result.

P1012141.JPG

Seven more to go.

Brian.

P1012137.JPG P1012138.JPG P1012139.JPG P1012141.JPG

Back