6x26 Harbor Freight mill vs 8x30 Grizzly mill

I have an old Husky 8x30 mill that needed a little bit of love when I bought it. I am VERY impressed with it. I later stumbled across a great deal on a bigger Jet mill in excellent shape but still can't get myself to part with the old Husky 8x30. After purchasing a the bigger Jet mill the Husky still doesn't feel like a toy. My Husky is single phase, no power feeds and no DRO but it is still a REAL machine and very capable for it's size, not to mention heavy.

I have never seen the 6x26 mills so have no basis for comparison.

Why is this even a question for people 68 YO and older ????
Why should we care what happens 40 years after we have died ??
This makes me sad.
Not to pick on you but I see it as an example of the mind set that gives us a throw away society.
I built and remodeled bathrooms for the last 30 years and Always kept the notion of posterity in mind.
Will this bathroom last as long as the one that was original to a 100 year old house? Does it generally follow, match or enhance the architectural theme of the house?
Is it made to be rebuilt again someday?
Of course I was competing with other contractors whose only concern was cost and I missed out on many jobs. But I stayed busy working for people who shared my concern for those who came after us. People who understood that houses are things we think we own but really just get to love and enjoy for a while - 50 years if we're lucky. Because soon enough we'll be gone but the house will remain for successive generations.
That philosophy of building for the future is what guides me in my choice of tools and tooling too.
I could have pulled out a credit card and bought a modern machine. But I looked and waited for the right one. Like Rabler I found a 12CK Monarch.
It is 79 years old. It is worn but not worn out.
It is big, heavy, sculpted, voluptuous and beautiful to behold.
The handles, hand wheels and controls on it weigh more than many modern lathes.
Maybe that's superfluous to some but aesthetics do matter after all.
I am proud to own such a fine machine - if one can say I own it. Because like a good house it will outlast me and I just get to be its caretaker for a little while.
What I do with it and do to it will be done with a thought to the man who owns it next. Because the time to consider posterity, our children's children, is now.

Attachments

• 48-1.jpg
    48-1.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 43
  • 20210607_113001.jpg
    20210607_113001.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 48
Ultradog: Well said!

I started a company some 25 years ago, and sold it a while back. It still exists today and many employees remain.

However, it's not so much the money I made that is rewarding, rather it's the ripple down affect my product (CNC plasma cutters) had not only on company employees, but also the businesses and hobbies of thousands of customers. The changes in their lifestyles, however small, carry on in subtile ways to their progeny. The gifts our forebearers made to future generations is why we no longer live in caves and travel in ox carts.

Between the two you listed I'd get the Grizzly. But personally would never do business with them. Not cause of where they are made but because of there **** poor customer service for our State. As to new vs used, it simply isn't worth the trouble of buying a used machine. There was been one used bridgeport sold here in the last two years. It was in sad shape. It sold for 9k. I'll take a Taiwanese machine any day for the same money and don't give a rip if it lasts 50 years. I'll be long gone before I wear it out. I'm currently looking at Jet machines but dang they have soo many models to choose from.

Rereading this thread , did the op purchase a mill or lathe ? Its interesting how cost and availability of used equipment vary across the US . Right now there are few small vertical mills on CL but about 1/2 dozen Bridgeports under $5k many under $2k .

As I mentioned above, I had a 6" x 26" Enco bench knee mill for over 25 years. While I used it over that entire period, I didn't use it every day. Never had any problems with it. Encos at that time were made in Taiwan, although the same design is used by Chinese manufactured mills today, and it is hard to tell them apart. You can't necessarily trust the ads, etc., as to their origin.

Taiwan built machines are generally reported to be good, as was my experience with one. Chinese stuff not so much. My Enco was not particularly rigid, although I did much more drilling than milling on it. The main problem was spindle height above the table. Like many others I toyed with adding a riser, which of course would affect rigidity to an extent.

Being in my early 80s, I was intimidated by the prospect of moving up to a 2,000 lb. Bridgeport. Buying one sight unseen, having it shipped, picking it up and bringing it home, getting it into my garage, getting it off the pallet and into place, and learning how to use it all scared me to death.

I bit the bullet and did it though. I watched eBay auctions for weeks until I found one with a J head, 36" table, step pulley drive, and located at a reputable dealership on my side of the Country. It was pretty plain, with no accessories. It had been repainted by the seller, so it was hard to judge the original appearance. The table surface was perfect, and the Y axis ways looked ok from the pictures. The seller sent me a walk around video showing it running.

The seller arranged shipping to me (Rhode Island to Maryland), which I negotiated into the price of $3,500. A young neighbor from across the street used his truck to help me go pick the mill up in Baltimore. We used a drop bed trailer, which the shipping company had no problem loading with a forklift.

When we got to my house, we backed the trailer up to my garage, lowered the trailer bed, and used a rented pallet jack to pull the mill off, I put the mill in the middle of the garage, between the cars, while I figured out how to get it off the pallet and moved into place without the pallet jack.

My engine hoist wasn't up to the job of lifting 2,000 lb., so I decided to use a cable puller (comealong) to pull it off the end of the pallet. As the first end cleared, I bolted the first of two rectangular support tubes (2" x 5" x 3/16" wall) to the two front bolt holes in the base. I bolted adjustable casters to each end of the support tube. The casters supported the front of the mill as I slid the front off the pallet.

As the rear of the mill neared the edge of the pallet, I used a toe jack to raise each side enough to block it up. I then slid the pallet jack out, and bolted a duplicate support tube with casters to the rear of the mill. I used the toe jack to lower it to the casters, and used a pry bar to move it to it's ultimate location. At 2,000 lbs., you don't simply roll it around like a tea service cart.

The mill turned out to be great except for the one-shot oiling orifices being clogged up, as many if not most are. I wasn't about to disassemble the whole thing to fix that, so I am manually oiling it, which is fine for my level of usage.

I added an X axis power feed, a VFD, a DRO, and a 6" Kurt vise as shown in the pictures below. The first is of my Enco, which I sold for half the cost of the Bridgeport.

Attachments

• profile.jpg
    profile.jpg
    800.1 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_9039.JPG
    IMG_9039.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_9060(2).jpg
    IMG_9060(2).jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 41
  • 7 inch platform.JPG
    7 inch platform.JPG
    480.7 KB · Views: 42
  • Leveling feet2.JPG
    Leveling feet2.JPG
    225 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
I gotta ask.. what's the story on the pair of mag base drills converted to drill presses?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I gotta ask.. what's the story on the pair of mag base drills converted to drill presses?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I described these in another thread, but here's a more concise explanation:

I wanted variable speed, reversing, and automatic quill feed, but was leery about my ability to buy, transport, and install a Bridgeport mill. I had an Enco bench knee mill, but it had none of these features.

I shopped around on eBay and bought matching drill press bases and tables. I used two 48" lengths of 2 3/4" OD x 1/4" wall DOM tubing and a couple of 3/4" thick cold roll steel plates to fabricate the drill press structures.

The variable speed mag drill with reversing is a BDS MAB465. The one with the power feed is a BDS AutoMAB450. The power feed automatically reverses when drilling is complete, which a Bridgeport does not. BDS is a German manufacturer. CS Unitec is the American distributor.

Two of them side by side permits me to work on long material which could not be readily supported by a single drill press. Using readily available spindle extensions provides the same throat depth as a conventional drill press.

I ultimately bought a J head Bridgeport mill, but still regularly use the mag drill arrangement. Of course, the mag drills can be yanked off and used independently if needed. The two drill press set-ups probably cost as much as the basic used Bridgeport before accessories.

Attachments

• IMG_9124.JPG
    IMG_9124.JPG
    488.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_9130.JPG
    IMG_9130.JPG
    446.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_9138.JPG
    IMG_9138.JPG
    579.5 KB · Views: 16
  • table adj 1.jpg
    table adj 1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 20
The mill turned out to be great except for the one-shot oiling orifices being clogged up, as many if not most are. I wasn't about to disassemble the whole thing to fix that, so I am manually oiling it, which is fine for my level of usage.

Keith Fenner is running a series of a Bridgeport restoration--taking it apart was about 2 years ago, putting it back together is ongoing. The link is to the on-shop oiler::

Back