$500 or under plasma cutter?

The Primeweld Cut50DP is on it's way. I bought a 30 pcs consumables kit for $39. I haven't looked for cheaper kits yet. I should buy a 0.030" kit for using it on 110v occasionally.
Keep us posted, and when appropriate give a review.

I think it'll meet your needs. You went in with both eyes open and made a good choice based on realistic usage. I've been dragging around a 1" commercial machine for the last 20 years and love it dearly, but most of my real-world work has been 1/4" or less. As far as duty cycle, almost every machine can do 100% duty on that. Hand cutting really doesn't push duty either because it's so on/off by nature, only the really heavy stuff heats up the machine. Plasma machines aren't like welders, the arc time is short unless the're mechanized. And 4.7 stars carries a lot of weight here.

I'm sorry but you simply do not understand my needs or can you read exactly what I requested in my original post. I have budget limits and no amount of posts to the contrary are going to convince me I cannot have a plasma cutter unless I buy one I cannot afford.

I cannot buy an expensive unit. Period.

I am going to buy a plasma cutter. Period.

Arguing either point is useless. I'm asking for actual experiences with less expensive units so I can pick the best one for me. I will use it until it fails and decide on another one later. I'm not going to just not make the thousands of cuts the cheap one will make just because you say no.....
You are absolute right.
I apologize.

I'm not a professional welder, but I'm pretty good and keep my eye on the market closely. I've been considering adding a plasma cutter to the shop for quite some time (I have a Hypertherm at work I can borrow as much as I want). I'm going to buy a Primeweld CUT60, which is a touch more than your budget, but they also make a CUT50 which is $400, 50A, dual-voltage unit that has an AG60 torch (pretty common).

Primeweld was started by a couple of guys from the big name welding companies and they are located here in the U.S. They have the machines made to their specs overseas and their customer service is pretty legendary. You can get someone on the phone in a couple of minutes and I've seen folks claim they got a reply to an e-mail over a weekend. They have really taken the affordable TIG welder market by storm the last few years. I have three coworker/friends who have bought welders from them, and the guy who sits across from me just added the CUT60 to the TIG225X he already had....loves it more than his old Thermal Dynamics unit.

I would definitely recommend looking at Primweld over the YesWelder stuff...in the unlikely event you have a problem, it'll be a lot easier to deal with. The most recent customer service issue I saw with a Primeweld that got damaged in shipping and they shipped a replacement without even waiting for the damaged unit to be shipped back. It's that kind of company.

I had to go back and find this post. If it sucks I can blame you and if it rocks I can thank you. Haha!:D

I had to go back and find this post. If it sucks I can blame you and if it rocks I can thank you. Haha!:D
Fair enough! The guy that sits across from me got his CUT60 a couple of months ago and immediately started sending me pictures of stuff he's cut with it...he says it works so much better than his Thermal Dynamics model that one will be sold soon. If I was a professional shop I might bite the bullet and buy a Hypertherm but honestly, I could buy two Primewelds and have a spare if anything happens and still save money (a lot).

I want a plasma cutter for 5 dollars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Normally I look for the best used high quality machine I can find. I have a big ESAB and little Lincoln mig along with a Miller and Lincoln buzz boxes. Clearly color means little to me. Having a oxy ac setup I wasn't pushed to buy a plasma machine. More of a want than need but I kept an eye out for several years for a good used machine. In my area there was nothing. On another forum around 5 years ago they did a mass group buy on a Cut 50 for around $200. I bought one and some extra consumables. I use it sporadically and it is held up just fine. Duty cycle is never been an issue for anything that I do and if I needed to I could use my torch. For the price and the way I use it I'm very happy with it. In the time since I still kept an eye out for a used high quality unit and nothing has come up. At this point I don't think it owes me anything while doing everything I need for a hobby guy. Not sure I see a great need to upgrade at this point.

I understand the quality arguments but sometimes it's just not in the cards.

Enjoy your new machine.

Back