500 cc single

OK lads the rest is coming, never fear. I just need a break to go sailing now and again.

BRIAN.

img058.jpg img057.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I seem to have made a mess of that post must be loosing my touch, or my marbles.

Next year with a new intake of students we resumed the project
after a visit to the science museum. we formed the layout of the car and started making parts.

The transmition was to to be 2 speed chain drive with a belt clutch.

The sprockets where made so the numbers could be divided into 360 to make indexing easy,after drilling the holes and tuning of to size the teeth were formed by hand.

Brian

Hubs for the wheels where made and laced to rims from scrap mopeds.
A layshaft was made to carry the primary reduction / belt clutch ,and the dog clutches for the 2 speed transmition.

A great deal of time was taken to ensure that the caster -camber - and king pin inclination was correct this meant inclining the wheels because they where not dished to accommodate the king pin.

img063.jpg img065.jpg img071.jpg img072.jpg img073.jpg img061.jpg img062.jpg

At last with the car able to stand on 4 wheels it was possible to fit the engine.

A external contracting band brake was made, and a radiator from copper tube.

The photo of me and a few of the boys was taken by the local rag, note the engine
now has a cover over its internals.

SAVE0083.JPG img074.jpg img066.jpg img067.jpg img068.jpg img069.jpg img077.jpg

Well Dave that photo was taken in 1988 !!! ::)

Next item on the agenda was the steering box This was a simple chain and sprocket affair.
and a home made wheel compleated the assembly.

img079.jpg img080.jpg img078.jpg

After this all things started to happen at once.

Body panels where fitted , seat made ,water and fuel tanks fitted, even the lighting " candle power!!
soon it was ready for test We had made the decision early on in the build only to make one gear ratio until we had run the first tests. this proved wise as on the first test run we where way over geared. so we altered the primary gear pulley to brig it into line after this the only thing we had to do was to add a hot air pickup to stop carb icing
The car ran perfectly carrying 3 adults it went at 12 mph over any hill we put it to so when when we added the second gear it was seldom used.

img085.jpg img086.jpg img081.jpg img082.jpg img083.jpg img084.jpg

That is excellent. So many different approaches to what would be considered the normal route to take (although the build date may have an effect on it, especially as i wouldn't have even started school yet!)

Brian,

I have really enjoyed your project. Thanks for taking us along for the ride.

Mike

Well that was all of the build, BUT why was it done????

BP holds a biannual competition for schools-- colleges--ETC the idea is to Build A Car. say why you built it and it will be judged to See if you have achieved your goal.

The basic idea behind the SPIRIT project was that the competition was to be held near the 100 th anniversary of the first ever car journey compleated in 1888 by Bertha Benz and her 2 sons, Benz himself was not interested in driving, only making things. Bertha did all the test driving for her husband, and latterly the sales. SORRY LADS,

So the idea was to build a car in the spirit of the era Not a replica.

The competition sponsored by BP in cooperation with the army school of engineering is held at the army school, and lasts 3 days It involves testing of every feature of the car by the army school a maneuverability competition against the clock driven by the students, and a lot of test driving by the judges. SPIRIT was never still for a moment everyone wanted a drive even the judges had to wait in line?

On the second day I was asked if i would mind if the car could be considered as a exceptional entry and be given a award for excellence in engineering outside of the competition as they ha never had a entry of its standard.

So we came away with a big cash prise and bookings for 2 TV appearances £ of the boys were offered BMW dealer apprenticeships and one for GM.

Later the car appeared on the BP stand at the Birmingham motor show. and at many other venues.

Mercedes wanted to have the students drive it over the original journey made by Bertha but it met with luke warm responce from the college.

How ever it served its purpose and a lot of lads found that they could achieve more than they thought they could.

BRIAN

img087.jpg img088.jpg img089.jpg img090.jpg img091.jpg

Back