500 cc single

That is one robust con rod Brian, not sure if it would ever wear out!! Good stuff!!

Bill

Hi Krv.
On the first day of the project I gave the lads an old liner and piston to give them a starting point to work from.

Even then it must have been quite a shock for someone to tell you you are going to design and build an engine,

when you don't even know how one works!!!

So it was a very steep learning curve for the first few lessons, so having the bore measurement was a good point to start

calculating all the other dimensions. Every thing had to be as simple as possible. yet involve the lads in as many

learning experiences as possible.

As these lads had left school with very little idea of what they wanted to do , or what they where capable of, the idea was to widen their horizons.

Remember we only had 33 days to complete the project.

A casting was made for the carb body and a separate float chamber made, so the fuel level at the jet could be adjusted by raising or lowering the chamber. the carb was simple in design intended to give clean running at 1700 rpm.

SAVE0098.JPG SAVE0099.JPG SAVE0100.JPG SAVE0101.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
The inlet manifold was made , and the water outlet.

At this time we where looking like we may not make our deadline so I allowed the use of a existing pair of chain sprockets

The shafts for the crank are made from a old truck half shaft that was let down in the heat treatment furnace so we where able to machine it.

SAVE0103.JPG SAVE0106.JPG SAVE0102.JPG SAVE0107.JPG SAVE0108.JPG

The valves were made by grinding down larger valves to fit our engine required small heads and long stems.

Making the cam shaft took a long while first we wade card profiles pined to a board to find the cam shape and timing angles.

then we made the cams individually and mounted them on a spindle with the bearings and the contact breaker cam, 12 parts in all if I remember correctly.

The rockers were fabricated to keep down the wear on the mild steel cam and roller followers.

SAVE0110.JPG SAVE0111.JPG SAVE0109.JPG

We had to make a dog for the starting handle this caused a little problem as not one member of the class knew
what one was.!!! this was after about 28 weeks of instruction. Just don't see them any more.

the engine was almost ready to run inspect everything an clamp it to the bench.

I feel that the test results taken from the class log are more appropriate than my comments at this point.

We only just made it in time for the end of the year..

Brian.

SAVE0085.JPG SAVE0120.JPG SAVE0121.JPG SAVE0112.JPG SAVE0113.JPG SAVE0114.JPG SAVE0115.JPG SAVE0118.JPG SAVE0119.JPG

So next year we had an engine.

Do you want to see the car ???

SAVE0122.JPG

Thanks Dave glad to know you enjoyed it,

When I get some spare time?? I will post the car build.

Regards BRIAN.

Nice job on the motor be great to see it in the car! How long would it run before getting to hot?

Paul

Hi Paul in the car the engine had a thermosyphon cooling system with a home made radiator and could be ran continuously.

It often ran all day at events we were invited to, giving rides for a good cause.

BRIAN.

Back