32x40 H -- Gas Engine

So off we go again --cut the blank--put on mill -- cut the teeth-- 60 this time.

P1012900.JPG

To prove the gear I used my Depthing tool that is used for setting clock gears, and the pair ran perfectly.
the camshaft gear will be crossed out with 5 spokes at a later date.
so now I only have the crankshaft gear to make.

P1012899.JPG

The home made cutter seems to work just fine.

Brian.

P1012900.JPG P1012899.JPG

And this is it

.P1012901.JPG

Now we have a full set! not bad for a home made cutter that cost about 5 c and took 1 hr to make.

P1012902.JPG

Brian.

P1012901.JPG P1012902.JPG

Very impressive, looks like a good fit up. I've never tried making gears, I've always have been fascinated by the process.

Hey Brian,
Very cool work. I am real new to using a mill and very interested in how things get done. Your milling of the rocker arm supports on the angle vice peaked my interest. How did you round the tops? I guessed you moved the mill over the center line and rolled the vice to 90 degrees.

Thanks,
-Joe

Hi Joe
I am afraid my solution was very low tech. I rounded the tops on my 1" belt sander by hand Quick and easy solution.

Brian.

I have placed the order for the remaining materials for the crank ETC and await delivery, this can be quite a time in Sicily.

So I am pushing on with cam shaft. the design was originally to have bronze rockers with a flat follower on the cam, but I can foresee problems with the inertia of these reatively large rockers against light valve springs so yet another design change is in order.
The rockers are now alloy with roller followers, but this means I must change the cam profile because the flat follower initially lifts at its tip. but the roller lifts from the base circle, sacrificing a few degrees, it also take longer to close the valve clearance.
To try and put some figures to these problems I cut a test cam to a profile that seemed right then built a test rig to test the lift angle with a roller so I am now able to correct the profile.

P1012904.JPG

Coming together slowly

Brian.

P1012904.JPG

Just 3° on the angle and 2mm on the roller diameter and I have the figures I want.

NOW what next needs fiddling with.

Brian.

Next little job was to make the wheel that will take the magnet to pulse the ignition. it matches the timing gear for the camshaft but without teeth, and fits at the opposite end of the cam.

P1012909.JPG

Milling out the crossing.

P1012910.JPG

Now I have to do the crossing out on the cam gear to match.

Slowly slowly.

Brian.

P1012909.JPG P1012910.JPG

Back