Status
Not open for further replies.
The difference between heating a vehicle and a small bedroom is the bedroom has well insulated walls and ceiling and at least two of the walls are interior while a vehicle has essentially no insulation. I can speak from personal experience , waiting for my wife in a car with the engine off, it cools down incredibly quickly. The energy consumption will depend on the heat loss and the occupants personal thermal protection and their tolerance for cold.

From what I have been able to glean, cabin heaters for EV's run from 1 to 5 kw. The newer cabin heaters tend to be heat pumps which owe their reduced draw to their ability to utilize heat from driving and/ or cooling the battery pack. However heat pump efficiency drops dramatically when the temperature of the heat source drops as would be the case when stranded in a snowbank in temperatures well below freezing. In that case, a heat pump's thermal efficiency drops to 1 and electrical resistance heating must be used to supplement the heat heat output. One would expect a higher battery draw in that case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back