2017 POTD Thread Archive

Just finished the leveling/height extension base that I started yesterday for my PM-932. Made the leveling feet from hockey pucks with 1/2" alum inserts. The 5/8" threaded shaft is threaded into the alum insert and then locked with a nut. The feet and threaded rod do not have to turn to adjust. Just turn a nut under the steel leg to raise or lower. I will cut the threaded rod after I finalize the length I want. As shown the base gets the mill off the ground an addition 5 1/2".
PM-932 adjustable base..jpg

Last edited:
OOps. I'm making a new (different diameter) bead router bit for my buddy. He wanted a larger bead than I had imagined. in my enthusiasm I turned the bearing mount 6 thou small. Didn't realize it until the thing was too far along to start over. I figgerd I could make a bushing. Yeah, .110 long, .181 id, .187 od. Well, the second one worked. Yes, I bored the ID, papered the 3/16 drill rod till the bearing just slipped on. Here's a fuzzy picture. I'll assemble them after the bit is hardened.

7 32nds bead rounter bit.jpg

This is the fourth picture I took, looks like I'm going to have to spring for a new camera, my Sony MCV CD350 doesn't focus any more. I've got grandkids younger than it is.

I was busy today, made a ton of these
joiner-1.jpg joiner-2.jpg

It all started with a can of aluminium I cast
joiner-3.jpg

that had a little bit turned off the outside
joiner-4.jpg

To end up with this
joiner-5.jpg
Tomorow I will flip it around to bring the chuck end to size leaving a 5mm flange in the centre where the blue mark is.
Its to use as a joiner on the telescope pier.
Now I have to finish sweeping up.
Wheres that aluminium magnet when you need it.

Recently I switched my PM 1340GT lathe feet from mason rubber cupped feet to solid feet, the lathe is more stable, but some of the resonant frequencies were causing the DRO to shake significantly at around 600-700 RPM. The two issues seemed to be flex in the control cabinet which the display arm was mounted to and the support arm flexing at the resonant frequency.

So I decided to do make a more solid DRO support and started with some 3" aluminum stock for the support base and 1.25" plate for the support arm. I turned a centering pin in the base to align the arm with the base and everything is bolted together with 8mm bolts. The base is mounted to the control box, which also has a threaded 0.200" steel backing plate, this eliminated some of the flex in the cabinet. I wanted to see if I could first see if this solved the problem, so this was the mock up.

Not pretty but solved the problem of the shakes vs. old support
Mock up.jpgOld Display Support.jpg

After a bit of machining and weight reduction.
Ready to assemble.jpg

Old support and new one. The old small support arm would flex side to side because the DRO display is heavy and the mount is on one side of the display. On the newer version of the ES-12B the display unit is much lighter and the mount is at the center of the display.
Old Bracket and New One.jpg

Finished and installed. Much happier, and it is rock solid.
Installed.jpgInstalled Back.jpg

Last edited:
Back