2017 POTD Thread Archive

So, is that casting an intermediate bearing support? Interesting configuration. Mike
That is a bearing retainer cap for the two roller pulley bearings.

upload_2017-2-15_7-10-49.png

This is a shot with it removed. The drive pulley is isolated from the spindle to reduce vibration.

Britt

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 using Tapatalk.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Hman, thank you.

Surprisingly, the material was not overly tough; machined ok with 1/2 hss 2 flute endmill

Wagner

A 6" vise is overkill for a RF45 style mill. A 4" is more appropiate for that size mill & IMO 5" max. I have a 5" GMT vise on my PM45 & it's slightly too big. Not enough Y axis travel to make use of the 5" full capacity. Better to save your money rather than getting something too big & most importantly the weight. I take my vise of the table quite often, a 6" is still light enough for me to be carried by hand but I'm glad I have a 5". I also have a 4" vise as well. I prefer the 5" though.

But those GMT 6" Premium vises are pretty nice. I'd love to have one but don't need one on my current mill. But if you plan on upgrading to a full size knee mill in the future than the 6" will be perfect.

Here's what the 5" looks like on my mill.
Img_1921.jpg

I couldn't even complete this cut without my bellows & DRO scale getting in the way. Not enough Y travel & the 5" vise is not even maxed out.
Img_7597_zpscb8b5dd7.jpg

Here's what a 6" vise looks like on another PM45 (gt40's)
View attachment 253544

e8c55420d2576ca8a888d2ae0cce5959.jpg

No, I've seen a few today as well.

I just do "The Brino Shuffle" on them if I'm interested and want to see them: In the post that has the Red X, on the right hand side where it says Like - Quote - Reply, click "Reply" as if you were going to reply to the post. Miraculously, the images will become visible when the reply pane opens up. Here's the tricky part -- to get out of the thread without posting anything, delete the images and any text from your preview reply pane and then use the "back" button on your browser to get out without actually posting a reply.

At least that's the way I do it, seems to work pretty good.

-frank

Thanks Frank...

I knew about the click on reply to view, but did not know how to get out of reply without looking like an a$$ and not saying anything. Thanks again.
Seems I read a post by Nels a few days ago that the tapatalk thing was fixed but maybe this is something else....

Bill W.

Still having problems viewing any post that are sent from a Mobile device using Tapatalk.

If they say something like this:
"Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 using Tapatalk"
Red X's show up.

There are ways to send from the Tapatalk without getting the red X but it takes a little more effort. Thus people do not use it.

I didn't realize that photos sent from a mobile device caused issues. I'll repost the pictures tonight from my pc.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 using Tapatalk.

It all depends on how they post the pic. If done right they will show up and not be a red x.
I just go past those red x posts. I figure if they really want help or to show something off they will post the correct way so everyone can see the pic.

Back