2017 POTD Thread Archive

Still doing some shop organizing. Arranged some tools and made a few collet holders for the 5 drawer rolling tool chest that I picked up at HF. Since my shop contains both metal and woodworking tools I wanted to have covered storage for the mill tooling. Its also nice to be able to roll the box right up next to the mill. I have to say that I am very impressed with the tool box. Very heavy duty, drawers work well and there are enough deep drawers for bigger, taller tooling.
tool box.jpg

Robert
'Tis beautiful to behold, well done! What method did you use to center the vertical optical axis to the rotational axis of the mill?
If you look at the build thread you will see more detail. You use the 4 cap screws on the top kind of like a 4 jaw chuck. Once it centered you lock down 3 holding screws and it is pretty robust in maintaining center.
Robert

Could you imagine the trouble we would be in today if we tried half the stuff we did as kids. Not to mention the trouble our parents would be in as well. Like my 3 year old grand son did last night, he took a little tow motorcycle the fit in his hand perfectly, then attached a piece of split plastic pipe to it, and was walking around going bang bang. Could you imagine if he did that at school.
it's because america has lost it's mind . A kid cant be a kid today . They say or do one stupid thing and they will get tar and feathered for life , law suits ....when I was in school, a teacher would give you a good "whack" or bounce you off a wall . Result was you never did it again. You behaved and grew up a decent and productive citizen . Now they just put a lawsuit on the kid and or parent , tarnish them for life .

Gunrunner you need to order a set of these for the Z axis hand crank. Bill did you just spit coffee on your monitor? :rofl:

View attachment 253356

31667804173_7ca1524719.jpg

32327885442_d544813f29.jpg

32357771231_1ce235238b.jpg

32357774201_1bb4f32b38.jpg

Last edited:
Depends, do you need to be able to undo the screw? If not put a dab of weld on the end. Also how much work is the pully going to do and how fast will it run? If you expect it to do a lot of work and at high speed I'd be inclined to make a sleeve to fit over the screw and be a tight fit between the sides of the shackle, then open up the bore of the wheel and put a small ballrace or two, or a bronze bush, in it like out of a skateboard they are very cheap and usually quite good.

Or you could put a smidgen of loctite on the threads...

When using my MIG I never seem to have light in the right place to see what I'm about to weld. I have an auto-darkening helmet, but it is still hard to see. After getting some ideas off the web, I went to the local HF store and bought a 5 LED light that is made to wear on your head with an elastic head band (item 61528), $3.99. I cut the elastic strap off and found the mounting bracket almost perfectly contoured to fit my helmet. I drilled 4 holes for 6x32 screws and mounted the bracket to the helmet. Flat washers between the bracket and helmet provide aim adjustment. The lamp snaps into the bracket and can be easily removed for battery changes (three AAAs). So for under $5.00 I've got a nice bright light that shines right where I need it.

HL4.jpg HL3.jpg HL5.jpg

Last edited:
I have that problem also ndnchf. Never enough lite where you need it.
Going to pick up a couple of them tomorrow at HF and get them mounted.
Thanks for the idea.

I totally have to do that to my welding helmet also. No more draping a trouble light over one shoulder or welding at a crappy angle just to get some light at the right spot.

Did you add sticky tape to the chuck side?

Rather than perching the disk on the ends of the jaws, try removing the jaws and pushing the disk against the face of the chuck body. As someone else mentioned, some double faced tape on the faying surfaces is another good idea.

No, just pressure from tailstock. It worked very well (since plastic machine very easily). Next time will do like EXTROPIC suggested and remove the jaws.

The pulleys will be in my 4x4 for any emergency. My concern about the pin unscrewing (was thinking about it) can be solved if I:
Machine a pin with longer tread when I can put a nut or use the rope in a way that pulley spin in clockwise.

Back