2017 POTD Thread Archive

Made a bushing for a gear in my gear box. Never made a brass bushing before. The gear has been giving me some issues for a while now. Totally out of round some how. Creating a stiff spot. Recently it's been getting noisier and actually effecting the finish.
Came out really well first try. That never happens with me... that new dro definetky helped. Think I got the hang of it all.
There's still an odd spot on that gear tho... seems like a bigger tooth that clunks when it spins. Can't figure it out tho... but it's smoother either way...

IMAG0845.jpg

Made a small holder for all my collets.
I had a smooth section of pine that was just long enough to drill the holes in.
Soaked it in motor oil overnight in the hope that it would be a bit more of an anti rust deterrent.
Drained and polished it worked very well.
They sit flush so I can add a hinged lid.
I was rather pleased that such a quick project worked out OK.
holder2.jpg

unfortunately it seems I cant count, I had one left over.:bang head::bang head::bang head: sitting in the back of the drawer.
holder1.jpg

Made a small holder for all my collets.
I had a smooth section of pine that was just long enough to drill the holes in.
Soaked it in motor oil overnight in the hope that it would be a bit more of an anti rust deterrent.
Drained and polished it worked very well.
They sit flush so I can add a hinged lid.
I was rather pleased that such a quick project worked out OK.
View attachment 224538

unfortunately it seems I cant count, I had one left over.:bang head::bang head::bang head: sitting in the back of the drawer.
View attachment 224537

Not up to your usual standard, pity. perhaps you can always leave the last used collet in the chuck.

Nice job on the bushing. You could mount it on an arbor in the lathe and check for out of round, and correct it with a light cut to the outside diameter. It would at least tell you where the issue is. Mike

Nice job on the bushing. You could mount it on an arbor in the lathe and check for out of round, and correct it with a light cut to the outside diameter. It would at least tell you where the issue is. Mike
At one point when I had the gear in the lathe I was trying to use the dial indicator to get it set in the chuck. Trying to measure on the teeth was impossible... and I couldn't rely on the centre hole to true, that was the part that was out of round some how. The whole gear was untrue, even the faces and shouldersall back together on the lathe. If the clunk turns into a sticky spot again or I'm finding the finish is broken up like before, I'll tear it all out again.

At one point when I had the gear in the lathe I was trying to use the dial indicator to get it set in the chuck. Trying to measure on the teeth was impossible... and I couldn't rely on the centre hole to true, that was the part that was out of round some how. The whole gear was untrue, even the faces and shouldersall back together on the lathe. If the clunk turns into a sticky spot again or I'm finding the finish is broken up like before, I'll tear it all out again.
If your three jaw chuck has two piece jaws you could machine soft jaws to fit the questionable gear and recut the bore for an oversized bushing.
The small gear on this set was damaged, I used soft jaws to hold it while I machined the damaged gear away to press a new one on.

Greg

IMG_1094.jpg

Back