2017 POTD Thread Archive

The HF LED light may not work on all helmets, it needs a location that is kind of flat and matches the angle of the light. On mine I added a nut and a flat washer between the bracket and helmet to elevate the rear of the mount to get it pointing where I needed it.

So are you saying that the light helps WHILE YOU ARE WELDING or just helps you see where to strike the arc? As I get older, I find it harder to see the weld puddle, even with my auto darkening helmet on 9 (the lowest setting). If you are saying this helps to see the weld puddle, then I'm off to Harbor Freight TIA, JR49

No not really,it primarilly helps with set up before pulling the trigger.

I can see better if I block the light coming in the back of the helmet glaring on the inside of the lens.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I tried attaching a LED work light to the ceiling over my welding table but didn't have much success as glare off the table and metals tended to trigger my auto-darkening helmet.

I tried attaching a LED work light to the ceiling over my welding table but didn't have much success as glare off the table and metals tended to trigger my auto-darkening helmet.
Defuse the light. It won't glare as much. A couple layers of scotch tape, or some light sand paper, or acetone t0 fog the plastic.

So are you saying that the light helps WHILE YOU ARE WELDING or just helps you see where to strike the arc? As I get older, I find it harder to see the weld puddle, even with my auto darkening helmet on 9 (the lowest setting). If you are saying this helps to see the weld puddle, then I'm off to Harbor Freight TIA, JR49

Have you tried a magnifying (cheater) lens? Using a 2.5x lens in my hood makes it a lot easier to see the puddle when I'm TIG welding.

What would really be the cats meow, would be, being able to trigger lighting on your work from the flash sensor on the helmet. Maybe one of our electronics guru's could come up with something. Bluetooth activated relay maybe? Mike

Have you tried a magnifying (cheater) lens? Using a 2.5x lens in my hood makes it a lot easier to see the puddle when I'm TIG welding.

Actually, I do use the cheap 2.5x reading glasses while welding. I've often wondered if the cheater lens would work better. I know it would be more convenient, but not sure if it would actually help me see better. Now before anyone says it, I'm not THAT cheap, that I don't want to buy the lens to try it out, but I would also have to buy a new helmet. My HF helmet does not have anything on the inside to mount the cheater lens. Come to think of it, I guess using a HF helmet does make me cheap. Oh well, Anybody got any suggestions? JR49

Back