2017 POTD Thread Archive

Today, I took my cnc plasma cutter out of moth balls. I'm happy I got it going again. Still works great.

Working on making tool bit holders for my lathe quick change tool post. My milling machine is giving me trouble table feed speeds sticking etc. I need to get in to a much newer machine that's in good shape. This old mill is taking the fun out of enjoying our hobby!

I'm spending to much time repairing my old broken down milling machine. I'd rather be turning out parts where all the fun is.

I'm trying to decided if I could get by with a bench mill, since my mill is giving me to much trouble & needs to be replaced a bench mill may be on the small side for some of the work I'm doing.

I'm searching for a good used milling machine to replace my worn out unit. With my limited funds, I'm in dream land.

Glenn where did you acquire all your engines?

Bill,

Initially, found the Campbell 4-4-0 locomotive on Discover Live Steam.com DLS is sort of the premier web site these days for live steam train stuff. Lots of locomotives listed there now.

Then, being the only 12" gauge train guy around Seattle/Washington/PNW at the time, the Ottaway sort of found me. Nowadays,when another Park gauge train comes out of the woodwork locally, I usually sort of hear about it, then spend the next few months trying not to go buy it. (I actually have two additional loco's - four total - that have been stored under tarps for 35 years, so in need of some serious restoration work. The two steam engines are really my priority for the next year or so.)

Of course, if you are interested, you could just build one from scratch. There is a whole cottage industry of suppliers and foundries than produce castings, drawings, and in some cases kits for hobby machinists to build scale models of nearly every locomotive ever built in North America. Almost all, indeed all, of the hobby loco's on DLS were home built. Many exhibt museum quality machining. Lots of resources around to support such an effort.:encourage:

Glenn.

Last edited:
I'm not even sure I should post anymore of my shop renovation pictures now, oh well...

I'm glad you are posting and I am sure many others are. I like seeing your shop and progress. I also work in a long narrow shop (not as long as yours but it is a familiar layout.

I actually built this last Friday, but didn't have a way to get air from my compressor into the engine to test it. My first little wobbler steam engine. Started running as soon as I flicked the flywheel.

Now I need to take it apart piece by piece and polish everything.

Bob

I got a good deal on a Sorensen Center Mike on eBay but the mahogany box was in rough shape. The finger jointed corners were all loose and the finish was in rough shape including some permanent marker writing on the outside. I re-glued all the corners then stripped, sanded and restained it then sprayed it with low gloss Varathane. I also cleaned up the measuring tool and gave it a good coating of light machine oil to prevent corrosion. The tool itself is in great condition, the only real flaw is a number someone engraved on it and the standard. It worked out nicely I think.

20170917_120524.jpg

20170917_152106.jpg

20170918_160523.jpg

20170918_160515.jpg

20170920_120025.jpg

20170920_120014.jpg

20170920_120928.jpg

John

Back