2017 POTD Thread Archive

Thanks! I've seen green drywall - used it in high moisture/mildew prone areas, such as bath rooms. Never seen the purple kind. I wonder it is regional specific? Maybe in high humidity areas?? My boy would love it - purple is the U/W Husky color. He would never get around to mudding or painting the walls - just sit around staring at the purple!

-G

Before hurricane Sandy 5 years ago you would only see xp (blue/purple) on commercial jobs, typically hi rises, supplied only by the drywall acoustics suppliers. Now i can get it in the local home depot and Lowe's. It's called xp, do a search on it and read about it. Another high moisture board but with a very different surface is dense glass, used to be exterior only, I'm seeing it more in hi rise bathrooms.
Just drywall, nothing fancy. It is far better than the green board though.

Rich

Richl that is looking nice, you want to dome do some for me. :grin: I hate doing drywall.
Mr kvt, pay my way down, and I'll help you out. you never know, I try to do a western trip each year, I do drive thru texas.

OK some machine work was required to make this happen, slotted holes on the mill and faced a spacer down to make it shorter. also fabricated a bracket on the right side. nothing major but I've not been getting much shop time.

hope some of you enjoy this
Mark

Ok here is what I have been working on, Between wife and I have not got in the shop much, Now just to find some wood working for it. and making the tools out of wood. Is designed to fit the old mouse balls, Out of old pc mouse that I grabed when things got changed for the new Electronic USB kind. not my best work but this is my first bigger cannon. IMG_0330.JPGIMG_0329.JPGIMG_0332.JPGIMG_0331.JPG

Bad news for old mice.

Hey Glen, I am really curious how you are determining the height of each tresses, transit? Laser? Level? String from elevation to elevation. Very fascinating project, I always wanted to build a bridge in my carear, never got the opportunity. Fun watching you do it though:encourage:
Rich:cupcake:

Just a short followup to my trestle build. Finally found time to finish the bents and install the cross bracing. The bracing does stiffen each bent significantly. However they are still a little tippy in shear - being bolted through the sills to the foundation with 1/2" cement anchors. Bents are designed to take compression forces, but rock back and forth - pivoting on the 1/2" anchor shaft and the small hex nut at the bottom. So will add some 4"x4" x3/16" plate, rather like a giant washer to each cement anchor atop each sill - 3 per bent - to create some greater bearing surface to hold the bents down hard against the sill timbers.

The longitudinal stringers will stiffen up the whole structure nicely, once I get them laid in and secured with strong ties.

View attachment 244274View attachment 244275View attachment 244276View attachment 244277

Ok here is what I have been working on, Between wife and I have not got in the shop much, Now just to find some wood working for it. and making the tools out of wood. Is designed to fit the old mouse balls, Out of old pc mouse that I grabed when things got changed for the new Electronic USB kind. not my best work but this is my first bigger cannon. View attachment 244513View attachment 244515View attachment 244516View attachment 244514

Cool. I think those hard rubber balls are like an inch diameter? How big is the cannon?

Back