2017 POTD Thread Archive

You can always mount the inverted cut off tool behind the work. Taig makes a special tool post in the configuration for their micro lathe and it works really well.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Nicely made toolholder! Probably a great solution for using the qctp for difficult parting jobs.
I also love a permanently mounted parting tool on the backside of the crosslide.
It was a accessory for the AI Hembrug lathes also. I have it and use it with great satisfaction. It has the same advantage as the op's tool, without the need to reverse the rotation of the lathe. It can also reduce tool changes because it doesn't occupy the quick change toolpost, which I find is especially noticeable when making multiple relatively simple parts. Just turn the part, feed the crosslide in reverse to part off.
Peter

Nice job ! just wonder why you could not chuck them up from the out side to bore. Was it lack of reversible jaws?

Correct, the jaws on this chuck aren't reversible.
Anyway, I had to constantly remind myself to turn the chuck key in the opposite direction to clamp outwards rather than inwards as "normal".

pete

Yesterday I started making a Draw Bar. I have been thinking of this for several years and designed it a couple years ago so it feels really good to kick this off. I'll start a dedicated thread in the projects section to document it, but I wanted to post some pictures of tonight's action... internal threading!

I started off by creating an external M30 thread, to work out the bugs with the setup and also to have a thread checker for the internal thread. After I made the external thread and got most of the way into the internal thread, I was having difficulty getting the parts threaded together, they were very tight even though I had removed what I thought was enough from the internal thread. I remeasured the external thread and the major diameter was too high, so I must have initially measured that wrong. I took the risk and removed the draw bar, losing the threading setup, put the externally threaded piece back in and hit the major diameter, then re-acquired the thread and brought the pitch diameter down to what looked right and fit with the draw bar. A bit nerve racking but it worked out well.
7867.jpg

Cutting the internal threads. I used a piece of tape wrapped around the draw bar to tell me how deep to cut before shutting off the lathe.
7866.jpg

Setup:
7865.jpg

Looks decent
7868.jpg

And works well
7869.jpg

Gotta say I'm pretty excited about this.

Finally gave up on finding a big hunk of plastic that I could machine into a reasonable adapter for connecting a 6" flexible hose to the 7" input on my larger bagger setup. Tried finding some plumbing dohickey that was about the right size, but anything that seemed even close was $100+.

So, I used part of one of the adapters that came with the Power Vacuum (to get a 6" or so long tube with a 6" O.D.), and using one of the magic properties of duct tape (namely, that it has an even, finite thickness), I wrapped a bunch of it around the tube so it would be approximately the right size to fit into the input of the bagger. Some bolts to hold it in place, and then transferred the clip to hold the hose onto the tube.

IMG_0900.jpg
IMG_0901.jpg

It doesn't feel like it's about to break, looks reasonably clean and now the hose should no longer fall off while I'm mowing.

Yesterday I started making a Draw Bar. I have been thinking of this for several years and designed it a couple years ago so it feels really good to kick this off. I'll start a dedicated thread in the projects section to document it, but I wanted to post some pictures of tonight's action... internal threading!

I started off by creating an external M30 thread, to work out the bugs with the setup and also to have a thread checker for the internal thread. After I made the external thread and got most of the way into the internal thread, I was having difficulty getting the parts threaded together, they were very tight even though I had removed what I thought was enough from the internal thread. I remeasured the external thread and the major diameter was too high, so I must have initially measured that wrong. I took the risk and removed the draw bar, losing the threading setup, put the externally threaded piece back in and hit the major diameter, then re-acquired the thread and brought the pitch diameter down to what looked right and fit with the draw bar. A bit nerve racking but it worked out well.
7867.jpg

Cutting the internal threads. I used a piece of tape wrapped around the draw bar to tell me how deep to cut before shutting off the lathe.
7866.jpg

Setup:
7865.jpg

Looks decent
7868.jpg

And works well
7869.jpg

Gotta say I'm pretty excited about this.
Is this a collet draw bar you are making

Well I about killed my self in pain, I got into my wheelchair and went out to my shop . I took the few items that came in , out with me the small dividing head with Chuck , 35 sets of die head dies a steal at $6.50 , a new point for my electric ettcher. A total weight of maybe 85lbs. No problem getting them out and in the shop , blower the chips a gunk off the dividing head sprayed it down with some penetrate Sat it on the planer table . Then the next part of the list , cut the mop of hair off my head. Boy it feels good to have the butch cut when it's hot. Then I did the hardest job closing the garage door which has extra heavy springs really YA have to stand on the bottom toe plate to hold it down to lock it. I have to get straight up right to push down on handle to then twist the lock. Getting back in bed was pure murder ill be in agony for several days.

Back