2017 POTD Thread Archive

I've been working on getting the parts needing fixing for the headstock on my 14" Rockwell lathe. Finally got someone to do the weld build up I needed for one of the parts. The welding came out decent for this rebuild. Next, had to get all the things machined, that has taken time to get done. Slowly but surely, I'm getting there. I have two more things to make for the headstock assembly as well as waiting on another bearing and oil seal. Those are last things going on the headstock which won't be an issue. Ken

Here are some pictures of the repairs and new ones made.
  • Here's a picture of the sliding gear with the clutch face cut on it. Original setup had only two clutch notches to the design. I changed it to four clutch faces. Part of the reason for doing this is to gain more bearing face for driving the clutch without kicking out of gear. The face angle was changed from about 10 degree to 15 degrees to give it a little bit more frictional grip to keep it from jumping out of gear. Of course the laws of friction say the angle needs to be at least 19 degrees, well my next dovetail cutter is 30 degrees and I wasn't about to grind one for 20 degrees.

• Here's my setup to mill the keyways.-Don't ask me why I took off the two piece jaws off of the master jaws. I won't tell you.
  • Not sure why I took this picture
  • Milling the keyways on the spindle-B.T.W. the Rockwell Lathe spindle on the 14" Lathe is not that hard. Say in the 28-36 HRC range. The tapered nose of the spindle may be in the mid to high 40's, not 58-62 HRC as seen on most lathe spindles

• Here is the fit up of the keys to the clutch ring and spindle. My broach man did a nice job broaching the keyways and getting them 90 degrees apart.

• Here are the finished parts

• A view of the clutch ring mating up to the clutch on the sliding gear

• A top view of the parts
This is also posted under my thread under "Rockwell-Delta Machinery" Group

No machining but did work in the shop on the 4th. My son and I loaded up his life in a U-haul bound for Oregon. He starts a new career with Weyerhaeuser and is their newest production supervisor (team leader) close to Eugene. We head out at noon today. I also installed a new Alpine unit and Polk speakers in the FJ 40 (b-day/fathers day gift). The rear speakers boxes are secured to the rear vertical roll bar upright using 1/2 cut sections of pipe creating saddles held in place via hose clamps (no drilling) I did have to use the Dynabride file to fit the head unit.
my Apple smartphone was used to set the custom sound configuration for the cab. The unit is bluetooth,USB, Aux jack and XM ready, It also answers incoming phone calls. The illumination has many different options as well. Pandora here I come!
IMG_1023.JPG IMG_1025.JPG IMG_1024.JPG
Its hard to say goodby (again) to our only child after getting used to his company and help around the shop. I will remember the quality time we pent on project over the past 11 months. He had been working nights as a stocker at Lowe's so this was a welcomed opportunity with full benefits and 50K raise. I've always been a believer of "plugging away" no matter the difficulties. Things always work out so long as you keep busy and pray on it.

Got no pictures but a friend of mine came by with a stainless head pipe he had someone weld up. it was made out of many pie sliced pieces. well it had cracked along one weld and then turned to crack across the rest on its way to a stop at the flange. I cleaned it and pumped some argon inside and welded it. told him I don't know how it will hold as I think the guy that welded the first time didn't purge or watch inner pass temps.

Made the knobs and feedscrew nuts for my grinding rest. It's starting to look like something out than a pile of parts—the lower leadscrew nut also serves as the pivot and holds the top and bottom together.IMG_20170704_213516.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Lookin' good! keep us in the loop with more photos.

No machining but did work in the shop on the 4th. My son and I loaded up his life in a U-haul bound for Oregon. He starts a new career with Weyerhaeuser and is their newest production supervisor (team leader) close to Eugene. We head out at noon today. I also installed a new Alpine unit and Polk speakers in the FJ 40 (b-day/fathers day gift). The rear speakers boxes are secured to the rear vertical roll bar upright using 1/2 cut sections of pipe creating saddles held in place via hose clamps (no drilling) I did have to use the Dynabride file to fit the head unit.
my Apple smartphone was used to set the custom sound configuration for the cab. The unit is bluetooth,USB, Aux jack and XM ready, It also answers incoming phone calls. The illumination has many different options as well. Pandora here I come!
View attachment 236940 View attachment 236941 View attachment 236942
Its hard to say goodby (again) to our only child after getting used to his company and help around the shop. I will remember the quality time we pent on project over the past 11 months. He had been working nights as a stocker at Lowe's so this was a welcomed opportunity with full benefits and 50K raise. I've always been a believer of "plugging away" no matter the difficulties. Things always work out so long as you keep busy and pray on it.

Paco, happy for your son on finding a decent paying career. It is bitter sweet when this happens as we as parents are so happy to see our children succeed yet on the other hand hate to not be able to see them as often as we would like.

I know someday I will not be able to spend as much time with my son so I am trying to get as much quality shop time with him now that I can.

Mike

For the first time in over 8 months I "officially" have a shop again. I closed my last shop down in late October 2016 when my wife and I started getting ready to move into our new home. We broke ground on our new 3k square foot shop/RV garage back in January and I just had my final inspection two weeks ago. My wife and I have been out of town last week but returned late Sunday evening. On Monday morning I sealed my floors in both the RV bay and the shop. Monday night I backed our newly painted coach into her new home in the RV bay and on Tuesday July 4th we started moving tools and equipment into the new shop.

First and most important item moved into the shop.
2s1k7x0.jpg

Starting to move in machinery row.
1zc0504.jpg

My son's toolbox, solvent tank and a few accessories.
34dmv15.jpg

More of the machining/fabrication equipment moved into the shop.
zx4feu.jpg

My truck pulled into the east bay of the shop.
2jb1pxt.jpg

My son's truck backed into the west bay of the shop.
30w9mdx.jpg

And lastly, our freshly painted coach backed into her new 20'x50' RV bay.
fldgxy.jpg

Hopefully more to come as I can actually work in the shop now and my yard is "almost" done. I hope by this time next week my yard is complete, I should have my two-post lift installed and I can start fabricating my work benches and getting things organized and set up.

Mike

Beautiful new shop and painted coach Mike!
Organizing the new work space is always fun and keeping it squared away can be challenging at times. I remembered your prior shop, so I'm looking forward to seeing your new layout.

Just got int Eugene OR, and we'll unload the Uhal tomorrow (POTD). It does smell like Christmas compared the the SW desert.

Beautiful new shop and painted coach Mike!
Organizing the new work space is always fun and keeping it squared away can be challenging at times. I remembered your prior shop, so I'm looking forward to seeing your new layout.

Just got int Eugene OR, and we'll unload the Uhal tomorrow (POTD). It does smell like Christmas compared the the SW desert.

Thanks Paco. My last shop was stuffed to the brim so I am pretty excited to even have enough space between machines to operate them freely and sweep between.

Good luck unloading tomorrow and helping your son.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back