2017 POTD Thread Archive

38Bill,

Those came out clean, very nice addition.

Phase 1 of the phase convertor front panel to go on the skip-salvaged control box... Longer to draw up, model for clearance re contactors etc. and do layout than to cut with the ickle air cut-off saw, but a while filing square and clean - but not in the shop, out in the garden in the sun :)

convertor panel phase 1.jpg

Tomorrow will be big holesaw for the 3-phase sockets, cone drill for the pushbuttons and warning lamps, angle-grinder to cut a hole in the box's door (after visiting Dad on greeting-cards day)

Dave H. (the other one)

I bought a quick change tool post a while ago but hadn't got around to fitting it.

IMG_0188-L.jpg

existing slow change tool post

IMG_0189-L.jpg

existing post - M16 x 2 on both ends with a shoulder

IMG_0195-L.jpg

turned and single point threaded a new post - M16 x 2 thread at one end to screw into the base, M16 x 1.5 thread on other end

IMG_0193-L.jpg

lots of careful measuring & marking then drilled a new locating hole in the base of the new piece

IMG_0194-L.jpg

ready to fit onto the base

IMG_0197-L.jpg

all done and back on the machine

finished the project off with something to hold the holders

pete

Today project that got finished is a welding coupon holder for the High School. For aluminum certification they put the coupons on this plate and push argon up from the bottom trough to see how much penetration the weld has. One top plate had gotten lost and the teacher asked me if could make another. After looking at the design I added a cut out so the top plates would set level when clamping the coupons.

20170610_075443.jpg
20170610_075419.jpg

20170610_132208.jpg 20170610_132747.jpg 20170618_105204.jpg 20170618_105705.jpg

I remember having a lot of trouble with those big old tanks. Had the 5 gals. on a '79 LowRider that I toured the US on for several years starting in '80. Needed the extra millage. I had the threaded holes break out too. That's where I learned to weld gas tanks without blowing myself up!
proper spacing is a must. many people think well it will draw in with the bolts, and it does. However it also stresses parts that are also vibrating. (not Good)

Today project that got finished is a welding coupon holder for the High School. For aluminum certification they put the coupons on this plate and push argon up from the bottom trough to see how much penetration the weld has. One top plate had gotten lost and the teacher asked me if could make another. After looking at the design I added a cut out so the top plates would set level when clamping the coupons.

View attachment 235811
View attachment 235810

View attachment 235812 View attachment 235813 View attachment 235814 View attachment 235815
them's old beam gussets

View attachment 235811
View attachment 235810

View attachment 235812 View attachment 235813 View attachment 235814 View attachment 235815
Good job

Fixed the old oil can today. It's not like I need another oil can although I am kind of obsessed with the things. It's just that this one is the first oil can I can remember. Belonged to my Dad, maybe my grandfather before him, don't know. It was just always in the shed, filled with some red-tinged oil that I would waste on my bicycle chain and anything else that looked like it could use it. And the dang thing always leaked!

I remember my Dad trying to mend it in the 70's with some new-fangled liquid solder in a tube. Yeah right, that always works, not. Nevertheless, it was one of the tools I kept from his little workshop when we moved him out of the house. He chuckled when I told him I kept it. "That thing leaks, you know?" "Yeah, I know".

Well today I was poking around in the shop after coming home from work and spied the can again. Hmmm, what have I got to lose?

Apparently nothing, because I really didn't put a lot of effort into prepping it before I put the heat to it. But miracle of miracles, the solder flowed. Not quite believing my good fortune, I filled it with cutting oil and gave a couple of squirts. Same old "thunk", but no leaky!

So the old thing is back in service for another few years anyway. Maybe down the road someone will wonder why on earth anyone would bother to fix such a thing. No good reason really, just one of those silly things you do.

Thanks for looking.

-frank

image.jpeg

Back