2016 POTD Thread Archive

For some years, I have been thinking of making a work stop for my 12 x 9 horizontal bandsaw. That, and the work table for vertical use, are the only pieces that were missing. I have a few pieces of 1" shaft with keyway and the holes in the saw base were close to 1" (probably 25 mm). A bit of adjusting on an adjustable reamer and the holes were a nice fit. That cast iron sure takes a nice finish.

Knowing that a piece of metal can get jammed between the stop and the blade and generally ruin your whole day, I opted for a tip-up stop so that I could swing it up out of the way after locking the stock in the vise. Don't mind the lousy welds. My Miller was set up for spoolgun and I didn't want to do the whole change-over, so i used my old welder.
PC080152a.jpg

And swung up ... It was fun drilling the sleeve on the big lathe. A sharp 1" bit cuts a nice chip.
PC080153a.jpg

Well its not a project that took me a day, more like 30 hours but I did finish it today! I am almost embarrassed it took that long to do, but with my small equipment and limited tooling, and lack of experience right now its no wonder it took so long. Its a barrel vise to remove Rifle barrels from actions. The hole in the middle is bored to 1.472" and the studs are 3/4-16 to clamp it down. The bushing is then machined to the contour of the barrel being removed. 8E39CDB0-48EA-41E6-9F1B-2CE92577F0C6.jpg

64CDE303-A9EF-4873-9B3D-BB8550537B29.jpg

B4E1B7A2-1891-46E4-A1C1-B0210C0BD0ED.jpg

Last edited:
Nice job, looks kind of like a cross bolted main cap for one of my vehicles. Seems like 30hrs well spent, and I'm sure you learned a few things along the way. I own a few guns, but other than cleaning them, and the occasional part replacement, haven't really done any machine work on them. I have thought about a 50 cal bmg target rifle build, but pretty far down the list. Mike

Recently my wife went out scavenging and came home with a 5 gal "Shop-Vac"...well shop vac. Along with it she brought in a DeWalt 12" Dual Miter Saw. The shop vac needed a new switch, which I didn't want to spend money on and couldn't find one local that was close enough to work. I wired it direct with the idea of putting a swich on the cord in the future. Good running little vacuum. The DeWalt looked like it may have fallen off the back of someones truck. The handle was smashed and the ?kerf? plate was busted. I spent $48 on parts and shipping and got it running.

So what was it I did in my shop today?

The DeWalt saw had an alignment problem, no doubt from the trauma it went through, whatever that may have been. I made some brass spacers to move the blade back into alignment. (no pics).

I also had recently acquired a 6" millling vise ( http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/flea-market-vice-find-kurt-clone.52766/#post-440266 ) at the Webster Flea Market. I didn't have a swivel base so I looked on E-Bay and found one I thought (hoped) would fit. Got it in yesterday and today I made a "?delrin?" [sp] (or white polymer I take to be delrin) locator bearing for it that centered on the vise and the base pin. 1.570 O.D. x .986 I.D. , snug fit. so was able to mount the vise like I think it should be. (Sorry, again no pics).

So a good day for me, or a good 3-4 hours work.

Why doesn't my wife bring things like this home with her? Its always stupid knik knacks or purses or you know, girley stuff.
I guess I shouldn't complain, she's always is happy with whatever stuff I drag home, and the places I go to don't have anything that I think she would want for herself. She likes an occasional measuring tape or screwdriver, but thats about it.
Now that I mentioned this, thanks to your wife bringing you gifts, I remembered that next week is our wedding anniversary.
Now should I get her that belt grinder that the shop really needs or .....???
(its number 51 in case you are counting)
PS thank your wife for me.

Chuck the grumpy old guy

Back