2016 POTD Thread Archive

Quote:
That's an easy one to drive ...
Just cross your hands and hold the left handle bar with your right hand and vice versa.
Nice idea though...
After bolting a new (used) steering box in my Safari van i got the same effect. Turn to the right and it would go left.
No amount of hand crossing could help my brain get that van out of the parking lot.
lk

American "back hoes" have 2 different operations configurations, the John deere style and the Cat style.
If you learn on one it becomes second nature. If you switch to another style it's kind of akward.

Sent from somwhere in east Texas by Jake!

jpfabricator - don't forget to add in the old Case style with foot swing. And I can't tell someone which movement (or hand) does what - yet I ran excavators for years! Guess my brain doesn't process the movements anymore, just muscle memory.

I ran a case once with the foot swing! The foot pedals were prone to sticking, and the pump was turned up to compensate for excessive wear.
Everyone knew to stay clear of that machine by a large margine.

OK, I have the bushings slit, see the setup here: http://www.hobby-machinist.com/thre...in-your-shop-today.14637/page-279#post-426471

I removed the outer portion of the groove, it wasn't doing anything but making the parts hard to load and unload. :oops: The nice thing about MDF is that it is made in layers and will pretty much split where you want it to. A couple minutes work with a hammer and scraper.

upload_2016-10-2_14-22-7.png

The first pieces were kind of a disaster. Not enough coolant (kerosene), the saw made it through the first part and about half way through the second before the blade gummed up, jammed, and broke. And of course screwed up the arbor, so make a new arbor and try again. :mad: This time with a heavier coolant flow.

Another odd thing is the cut dives about 0.010 over the length of the part. The start is always higher than the end in both cut directions. :cautious: At first I thought my head was a bit out of tram causing this but since it is happening in both directions pretty much eliminates that as a possibility. I suspect it has something to do with the tooth form. There is no set in the blade, and it should be hollow ground, but it is Harbor Freight so who knows. Not a big deal, but makes you wonder.:confused:

Running about 400 FPM, 820 RPM, 0.650 DOC , 7 IPM.

And a video of it running:

Last edited:
I will try to post a video next weekend. Stay tuned.

jpfabricator - don't forget to add in the old Case style with foot swing. And I can't tell someone which movement (or hand) does what - yet I ran excavators for years! Guess my brain doesn't process the movements anymore, just muscle memory.
I ran a case once with the foot swing! The foot pedals were prone to sticking, and the pump was turned up to compensate for excessive wear.
Everyone knew to stay clear of that machine by a large margine.

Know what you mean about running equipment, I've run most backhoes, excavators, and other heavy equipment over the years and it becomes somewhat intuitive. My old Ford 755 is the four lever setup (7000hrs, and calling it loose would be a compliment) , and I think it requires and gives a little more finesse than the joy stick machines, but the joy sticks are much easier to learn on and better suited to multiple operators. I'm decent, but watching my dad was like poetry in motion, kind of like watching the ballet. Mike

Back