2016 POTD Thread Archive

I've got a Bardons & Oliver releasing tap holder but only a few collets. Of course, I don't have the size I need so I needed to make one.

This part could have been made on the lathe but some of it still had to be done in the mill so I just cranked it all out on the mill.

100_2919(1).JPG

I made 5 sandblaster tips from some free 1/2" steel rod mystery metal that I picked out of the scrap bin at work. Figured out how to set it up on my Atlas/Craftsman 12" kinda like a production run...worked well. Eventually, I might remember to take a camera out to the shop with me! :faceslap:

but lacking a quill stop. Most use a threaded rod that requires you to spin a nut down to set the stop point.

Mike I have a drill press like yours , my quill stop is a collar that spins on the pinion shaft that you lock with a screw where you want quill to stop,
I like your stop better tho,
I like those drill presses with adjustable quill slopp caseings "split in casting to tighten quill fit"

I have worked at several places that have ground Aluminum. With the right wheels and coolant it works just fine. I never had a problem once an old timer showed me how.

You are correct, but........doing it without proper proper setup can be dangerous.

Firestopper, why would you not grind aluminum?
I Surface grind aluminum regularly, not for heavy removal but for flatness. I use mist coolant and the same wheel, works fine, try it sometime. Just block your alum parts with some steel

I made a set of machinist clamps during the last couple of days and since I have a big problem with things rusting I tried my hand at gun blueing.
GEDC2681m.jpg

This is my first attempt at blueing and they look better then the picture shows.
Will have to see how they hold up against the rust problem.

Ray

Made a spring center today. I've wanted to make one for a long time but I've never seen one and didn't know what reasonable dimensions were for one. I found info on the Projects in Metal website but for some reason I cannot register on that site and therefore could not download the plans. So I eyeballed the dimensions based on a few that I could read. So here it is in all its glory. I enjoyed making it but I'm very slow. Don't pay any attention to the extended milling on the right end of the slot:rolleyes:. It may not be perfect but it works and I'm looking forward to using it.
DSCN2265.JPG

Next on the list is either a die holder or an ER40 adapter for the lathe. I just got the ER40 collet set and used it on the mill drill today. The one thing I didn't like was that it blocks the light from my circular LED ring mounted above it. But there was a positive side to using it. I could swap out the ER40 collet holder for the drill chuck without having to raise the mill head.

I have worked at several places that have ground Aluminum. With the right wheels and coolant it works just fine. I never had a problem once an old timer showed me how.
there is a right way and wrong way for everything...many don't know the right way.

Back