2016 POTD Thread Archive

here we go....

glad i opened up the laser..needed a little cleaning...new batteries and all good

IMG_9696.JPG IMG_9698.JPG IMG_9689.JPG

Time to bore you again with wood.
Just got the thickness planer repaired (earlier post showed the carnage), I was feeding the laminated sides through and what I thought was a nail reared its ugly head. Shoot I said. Pulled the cover off the planer and couldn't find the missing chunk of blade. Got the awl out to check the nail, and low and behold it was a bullet. Luckily not steel jacketed.
IMG_2235.jpg

This is a guide I built to cut a profile on the end of stock, for a sliding dovetail joint. The adjusters at the end set the thickness of the pin and if you want will taper the joint to ease assembly.

IMG_2237.jpg

The dovetailed end. The wood is quarter sawn White Ash, I cut on my homemade sawmill. The centre boards in this log were 21 3/4 wide, the book matched pair will make a nice table top.
IMG_2183.jpg

Greg

Nice that you are making it out of White Ash, won't be any left in a few years, most all of Indiana is now Ash free due to the Emerald Ash Borer (Thanks China). I have lost about 50 in the 24" range and the saw mill are so loaded with logs they do even want it anymore. Don't know what we will do for shovel and rake handle and most importantly Base Ball Bats.

We're having the same infestation here Rick, guess the southern part of the Provence is already wiped and 100 kms away in Ottawa they're getting hit. Hasn't showed up here YET but it will, the swamp behind my shop is all Ash, none big but will hate to loose them, guess I'll have lots of firewood for a few years. This tree went down in a wind storm a couple of years ago, ripped the stump out. Had to shave the butt with the chainsaw to get it through the mill, it will handle 30 inches.
IMG_0225.jpg

To add some scale the 3 yard bucket on this loader would only hold one log at a time.

IMG_0212.jpg

Greg

Time to bore you again with wood.
Just got the thickness planer repaired (earlier post showed the carnage), I was feeding the laminated sides through and what I thought was a nail reared its ugly head. Shoot I said.
No pun intended, I hope :)
Pulled the cover off the planer and couldn't find the missing chunk of blade. Got the awl out to check the nail, and low and behold it was a bullet. Luckily not steel jacketed.
IMG_2235.jpg
Greg
Looks like the "wound channel" off to the right. Your photo doesn't show the edge of the plank. How deep was the bullet? Any plans to use this or mount it as a conversation piece?

Hadn't thought of boring you as a pun but the ugly head was John. Its about 6 inches in from the bark, with only a couple of inches of wound showing, either grew over or the rest of the path is in another board. The other face is perfect, I plan on using it for the inside writing surface, with the bullet on the under side.
Finding lead isn't that uncommon, a long time ago I bought some Red Oak that had been brought up from one of the mid eastern states. The planer found what looked like a bolt, again heart failure. Turned out it was a musket ball about 1/2 inch in dia.

Greg

I've certainly considered getting one Jon. I've hit a few nails with the sawmill, don't like sawing trees that were in yards. The distances they advertise are in air, wonder how deep they'd penetrate wet wood.

Greg

I've certainly considered getting one Jon. I've hit a few nails with the sawmill, don't like sawing trees that were in yards. The distances they advertise are in air, wonder how deep they'd penetrate wet wood.

Greg
It will work as well in wood as in air.

BTW I have a tree in my yard that has a T-post inside it.

Back