2016 POTD Thread Archive

Yep. :)
As you can see it's higher at the near side than the far. I thought I had it very clean before I mounted it.
Since posting that I've been debating with myself about taking it off and cleaning again before I finish the process. Thoughts?

Sent from my SPH-L300 using Tapatalk

I'll have to check. Mounted it when I was planning on doing this last summer. My assumption here was that the finish is the result of the rate at which I'm skimming the surface, fairly rapid in both axes to prevent heat buildup as Don Bailey taught me in a Suburban Tool video on YouTube.

I'm not home so I can't say for certain but I'm pretty sure it's a Carborundum Company AA46-H8-V40. It was 7" but it's worn, maybe down to 5".

Sent from my SPH-L300 using Tapatalk

With all of the work I have had going on over the past several months between paying jobs and getting our coach ready for the RV season, I have had some little items go untouched. This weekend I decided to take care of some minor "housekeeping" items in the shop.

I had been needing to replace the crushed glass media in my blasting cabinet as well as clean out the vacuum for the cabinet. I picked up a bag of crushed glass on Friday and dumped the used media and filled the cabinet with fresh, then dumped the vacuum container and cleaned the internal filter.

I then drained my two oil containers by putting the oil into a couple of five gallon buckets and bringing them to my local recycler to dispose of.

I had a friend give me a couple buckets/cans of assorted bolts/nuts about two years ago when he moved away and I haven't had time to put them in their respective bins so I sat down with a cup of coffee and sorted those out Friday night after mowing my lawn. As funny as it sounds it was actually kind of relaxing.:dunno:

I had cut some old forklift forks apart about 15 years or so ago to use as arbor plates for my 20-ton hydraulic press but never have gotten around to cleaning them up for use.

I cut them pretty close to equal lengths with an oxy-acetylene torch but they needed to be cleaned up. I was going to use my disc sander but the mill is much better suited for such a job. Here is one of the two ready to be milled down.
vgr9n8.jpg

Here is the flame cut end that I needed to clean up.
id6u8o.jpg

Taking light cuts, .020", as these things are quite hard. I'm using my 2.5" facing mill.
rsv5g1.jpg

I'm merely trying to clean them up to get rid of as much of the kerf from the flame cut as possible them bring the longer one down so they are both equal lengths.
99i544.jpg

These two pieces measure 3" wide x 1.75" thick by 8.675" in length.
xbsef.jpg

These ones are completed as much as I am going to cut them for now. The coating from the forks is still in tact and they are not dinged or dented too awfully bad to start with.
24yybuq.jpg

Now the four arbor plates that I got when I purchased my used Nugier 20-ton hydraulic press are in much need of being trued up. They have seen some hard use long before I took ownership of the press and I have owned it for nearly 20 years now, I think it was about 15+ years old when I purchased it back in 1995. These plates were clamped in the mill vise side by side and cleaned up.
50qp9e.jpg

Before any cutting. Not too bad but desperately in need of some cleanup.
108db2f.jpg

I just took some skim cuts off each side to clean them up. Some of the deeper gouges and nicks will remain as I don't want to remove too much material.
6fa0eu.jpg

These will be my "intermediate" sized arbor plates and they will be the ones I will use the most. The larger ones above will be my "heavy duty" plates and only used when the job requires.
8wmo3a.jpg

These are the smaller set that I got with my press and again, in much need of being cleaned up.
2mpekuc.jpg

I only removed about .015" off of each side of these ones.
2nursw3.jpg

Here are all three sets cleaned up and ready for years and years more of service.
64l4za.jpg

What a mess I made of the mill in a few hours.:willy_nil
2m63gbp.jpg

Next was a good cleaning of the mill and the floor of the shop. After 30 or minutes of cleaning the shop and mill, she is ready for the next job.
qwy235.jpg

Completed arbor plates.
2qkm0qf.jpg

Mike.

vgr9n8.jpg

id6u8o.jpg

rsv5g1.jpg

99i544.jpg

xbsef.jpg

24yybuq.jpg

50qp9e.jpg

108db2f.jpg

6fa0eu.jpg

8wmo3a.jpg

2mpekuc.jpg

2nursw3.jpg

64l4za.jpg

2m63gbp.jpg

qwy235.jpg

2qkm0qf.jpg

vgr9n8.jpg

id6u8o.jpg

rsv5g1.jpg

99i544.jpg

xbsef.jpg

24yybuq.jpg

50qp9e.jpg

108db2f.jpg

6fa0eu.jpg

8wmo3a.jpg

2mpekuc.jpg

2nursw3.jpg

64l4za.jpg

2m63gbp.jpg

qwy235.jpg

2qkm0qf.jpg

vgr9n8.jpg

id6u8o.jpg

rsv5g1.jpg

99i544.jpg

xbsef.jpg

24yybuq.jpg

50qp9e.jpg

108db2f.jpg

6fa0eu.jpg

8wmo3a.jpg

2mpekuc.jpg

2nursw3.jpg

64l4za.jpg

2m63gbp.jpg

qwy235.jpg

2qkm0qf.jpg

vgr9n8.jpg

id6u8o.jpg

rsv5g1.jpg

99i544.jpg

xbsef.jpg

24yybuq.jpg

50qp9e.jpg

108db2f.jpg

6fa0eu.jpg

8wmo3a.jpg

2mpekuc.jpg

2nursw3.jpg

64l4za.jpg

2m63gbp.jpg

qwy235.jpg

2qkm0qf.jpg

vgr9n8.jpg

id6u8o.jpg

rsv5g1.jpg

99i544.jpg

xbsef.jpg

24yybuq.jpg

50qp9e.jpg

108db2f.jpg

6fa0eu.jpg

8wmo3a.jpg

2mpekuc.jpg

2nursw3.jpg

64l4za.jpg

2m63gbp.jpg

qwy235.jpg

2qkm0qf.jpg

intjonmiller,
That wheel should be ok. You might try going a bit slower and if you can use a coolant. A spray mist is good if you have one.

Machined the inside diameter of my clutch and brake clamps and inserted a teflon sheet. Now it rotates when I fall without being loose

26170606613_b125954670_n.jpg

I had a friend give me a couple buckets/cans of assorted bolts/nuts about two years ago when he moved away and I haven't had time to put them in their respective bins so I sat down with a cup of coffee and sorted those out Friday night after mowing my lawn. As funny as it sounds it was actually kind of relaxing.:dunno:

Mike.

I'm totally with you there, then being able to go to the right bin and get exactly the bolt you want is fantastic. Great job on the arbor plates too :)

I'm totally with you there, then being able to go to the right bin and get exactly the bolt you want is fantastic. Great job on the arbor plates too :)
I have a bucket where I toss unidentified hardware to be sorted later. Once or twice each year I haul it in the living room and set up tables around me with all sorts of temporary bins with masking tape labels for every thread size, screw type, and other categories I can think of, and I sort them while my wife and I watch tv. She doesn't mind because we get it done within a day or two, and whenever I need to find something I can usually get it within a couple minutes of identifying the need, thanks to the investment of that time to sort them and the shelf space to hold them. I quite enjoy it, especially as I think back to my dad's #10 cans of assorted hardware that he would dump on the newspaper-covered kitchen table to sort and find some particular nut or bolt. He had the presence of mind to keep all that stuff, but never took the time to properly sort it.

Back