2015 POTD Thread Archive

johnny I posted in your thread about this mill on where to get the correct nuts.... not sure if you seen that or not

johnny I posted in your thread about this mill on where to get the correct nuts.... not sure if you seen that or not

Thanks, I saw your post there. Those nuts are pretty close in dimension to the ones from my machine. I ordered a pair of them for my X axis lead screw as it is not visibly worn but the nuts are pretty loose. For the Y axis, the lead screw is completely worn out so I wanted to convert it from that weird metric thread to Acme thread. I bought a 3 foor lenght of left hand thread 1.25" Acme threaded rod locally and got the bronze nuts from Roton and machined them to fit the machine. They are high quality silicon bronze and are a very precise fit on the Acme rod. This weekend I am going to machine the rod.

John

Fishin' sounds good. A bit less running around than turkey hunting. Less recoil, too.... 3 1/2" 12 ga shells with 2 1/8 oz of turkey shot sure puts the punt to the shoulder...

Hi John
I have no idea, I was just given the part and asked to make one.
Steve

My project has been getting inserts out of melted plastic holders, the other day I bought a guys tooling from a fire, AMAZING deal, included and unharmed was an enco automatic boring and facing head, model 1200, with R8 shank, another goody was a Blake coax indicator, a suburban cube, plus about 150 new end Mills, a small tool box full of new reamers, brand new set of lyndex 5c hex collets, plus racks of rnd 5c, and r8, there's so much more to list, :) however some things have a little surface rust on them, what's the best way to remove the rust without damaging shanks and what not?

This is a new thread that I am starting. As the good weather of Spring and Summer rolls around, many of us will go back to the shop to do something. We want to know what you did in your shop today. No limits, just tell us what you did.

Today in my shop, I am installing some shelves using 8x10 brackets I got from Home Depot and some 2x4 sheets of 3/4" MDF I also bought there.
I made a clock turn a motor and turn on a light and charge my drill and cellphone , when i finished it was stolen, i had a machinist put the motor on place and he refuses to do it again
it was really simple , it is needed everywhere in the world. I dont want to write the same thing too much so it looks like spam, it is my life I really loved the piece , can you locate a machinist who
will put the motor on professionally . I am in toronto and no one is capable i had to go to vancouver to get the piece done, it was really difficult
If for some reason you dont want to help me complete this ( I hope you will ) I used a
geared maxon motor
a usb port
i used tamiya kids toy gears
I used an 8 day clock spring

I put 1 gears on the spring
( the machinist) lined up the motor

it keep a light on for a long time
and it fully charged my cellphone on one wind
it kept a solar panel charging
It can do more but it was stolen ( really traumatizing)

I hope someone completes it,
the piece is really simple

I dont know why toronto wont

Back