2015 POTD Thread Archive

Wow. I would never have guessed that you quench aluminum to anneal it. Doesn't that harden steel?

Now, all I have to do is figure out what scrubbing soap is. :)

Is this the stuff?

View attachment 99466
non-ferrous metals in general are hardened and annealed in the opposite manner that Ferrous metals are. Fe acts contrary to the other metals

Wow. I would never have guessed that you quench aluminum to anneal it. Doesn't that harden steel?

Now, all I have to do is figure out what scrubbing soap is. :)

Is this the stuff?

View attachment 99466

No not liquid dish hand washing soap, it's a block /bar of hard green soap for rubbing in to wet laundry , then using a small scrubbing brush to get it working , for scrubbing into greasy collars etc

Check out this eBay number for a good example
eBay item number:

I guess any soaps made to the formula of the 1940's /50or maybe even the 1960's would work so perhaps on your side of the world a bar of hard sunlight soap might be the product

Last edited:
I used to anneal aluminium by coating it with soot from a candle or acetylene flame then gently warming it with a gentle flame till the black disappeared.
Some bends required two or three goes to finish the bend.

Ok, I'm learnin' now. Just out of curiosity, what is the temperature to anneal aluminum? Would I be able to read it with a laser thermometer?

What grade? 6061 Says it can be hot worked at 500-700. this should make it easier to bend.

2024 is as follows per speedy metals site. Annealing is done at 750°-800°F for at least 2 hours at temperature, followed by slow cooling in furnace. This will anneal 2024 from a heat treated condition. Annealing 2024 between cold working operations may be done at 650F for 2 hours, followed by air cooling. AGING
The T4 condition is attained by a 920°F heating and cold water quenching. Aging then occurs at room temperature. For T6 condition, use the same 920°F and water quenching procedure than reheat to 375°F for 10 hours and air cool. Other conditions are a result of the T4 condition followed by controlled amounts of cold working. TEMPERING
Mark

had some spare time today so I put back together the Kirby that I was replacing a bearing in. Took me a while to figure out that it wasn't working because I didn't have the bag and front attached :) Works a treat now and doesn't sound like cement mixer full of rocks, so the wife (and cat) are happy!

Thanks everyone. I was inspired to look up annealing 6061-T6.

It appears I wouldn't have had time to do it anyway as the annealing process requires several hours and a kiln or oven that can sustain 775º for 2-3 hours and cool down at 50º an hour until cool.

Luckily, it bent fairly easily with just a one-grunt tug on the bending bar and no terrible damage seemed evident, other than the hole weakened section cracking. But, that was because the bending bar's pin was applying the pressure past the hole.

So I'm getting the new back plate for my small 4 jaw chuck done today, most risky bit has gone ok :) now I just have to flat the front and sides and do the mount register and drill holes.

I had been putting it off whilst I practiced internal threading on some big jacking screws for leveling my lathe.

Stuart

Back