2014 POTD Thread Archive

Yesterday sprayed oil under the jeep to try and keep rust at bay. Thank god for the car hoist. Today was going to do the truck, decided to check the brakes first, the rotors looked rough through the wheels. All four aluminum wheels were seized to the hubs, had to use a four foot length of 6x6 to beat them off (I hate aluminum wheels) The rear rotors are shot and one of the little shoes it uses for the parking brake had delaminated. The pads were all seized into the mounts and two of the booted sleeves the caliber moves sideways in were seized. The front weren't quite as bad but far from great, all the pads were again seized and one of the slides was seized solid. I know, sounds like poor maintenance but the trucks only 3 years old and 27,000 kms less than 17,000 miles. One of Fords better ideas. Get parts tomorrow and then I can spray it.

Greg

Finally got around to finishing off a dial indicator mount and adjustable stop for my Atlas 618. I make a lot of small parts and wanted a better way to control the X feed. Also below the dial indicator is and adjustable rod to serve as a carriage stop. When not required it is parked at the far left. Simple but works well.

David
assembly parked.jpgindicator in workiing location.jpg

assembly parked.jpg indicator in workiing location.jpg

Yesterday sprayed oil under the jeep to try and keep rust at bay. Thank god for the car hoist. Today was going to do the truck, decided to check the brakes first, the rotors looked rough through the wheels. All four aluminum wheels were seized to the hubs, had to use a four foot length of 6x6 to beat them off (I hate aluminum wheels) The rear rotors are shot and one of the little shoes it uses for the parking brake had delaminated. The pads were all seized into the mounts and two of the booted sleeves the caliber moves sideways in were seized. The front weren't quite as bad but far from great, all the pads were again seized and one of the slides was seized solid. I know, sounds like poor maintenance but the trucks only 3 years old and 27,000 kms less than 17,000 miles. One of Fords better ideas. Get parts tomorrow and then I can spray it.

Greg

yikes, that's crazy! I can see a yearly brake preventative maintenance session in your future - pull off wheels, grease pad contact points, grease slide pins, check piston seal. I'm sure it won't take long after a few times!

I haven't done much of note - cleaned up some rusty used tools with vinegar (surprisingly effective), started sorting my many mixed nuts and bolts by SAE vs. Metric and then size, put a wire wheel and white Norton grinding wheel on my grinder which is leaps and bounds over the concrete like wheels that were on there originally, did my first ever end regrind of an endmill which came out surprisingly well.

I set all the anchor bolts for the shop today. Technically I was in the shop where the shop will be. Passed my footer inspection today:applause:
footer.JPGrebar.JPG

footer.JPG rebar.JPG

That is going to be one nice big shop from the looks of it.

I set all the anchor bolts for the shop today. Technically I was in the shop where the shop will be. Passed my footer inspection today:applause:

You should start a new thread for this. I bet I am not the only one who would subscribe to a shop build thread.

I agree with this. Do a detailed daily or so build thread with lot of pics and you will see many followers. Also gives a reason to take all those pics for later, you know the ones you wish you would have taken.

barlow l, if you don't know already there is a great garage build website garagejournal.com for ideas on your own build. And inspiration on doing a build thread here!

Last edited:
Hi Barlow,

Your form work and rebar work looks top notch. Obviously done with care. Keep us posted on your project...

Brian :)

Back