13" South Bend turret lathe project

When they sandblasted your bed, they didn't hit the ways, did they?
No, they put some type of heavy-duty tape over the ways to protect them.
I'm not sure what kind of tape they used, but I had to use mineral spirits to get most of it off.

Doug

Nice project I look forward to following your updates

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a local machinist working on some parts for the quick-change gearbox & the bushings for the spindle's cone-pulley.

In the meantime, I'm trying to figure out how I want to wire this 2-speed motor up.
Searching on-line & looking through several SB catalogs, it appears that SB used a couple of styles of controls for these 2-speed motors.
One option was a special Furnas JED-4 two-speed reversing drum switch which is not available anymore!
Frunas JED4 .jpg
I did find one on eBay, but the seller must have thought the contacts were made from 24ct. gold with a price of $600 o_O

The other option SB offered was a push button panel that controlled magnetic starters.
2 Speed Motor Controls .jpg
I'm planning on using the push button control panel set-up, but I haven't found any information on how SB wired it up!
The pic's above are not clear enough to see the functions of the buttons, but with two red buttons on the bottom it looks like there's two possible options.
Control Panel Set-Up .jpg
Does anyone know the actual functions of each of the push buttons?

Doug

I have a local machinist working on some parts for the quick-change gearbox & the bushings for the spindle's cone-pulley.
I got my parts back from the machinist sooner than I thought! So, I guess I better figure out this wiring. :xmaslights:

I was able to verify that the original 6 push-button was configured like option 2 shown above with 2 fwd. / 2rev. / 2 stop buttons.
Unfortunately, I still haven't found a schematic/drawing of the control wiring for the mag-starters.

I'm going to be using a Allen Bradley 505 reversing starter for the direction & a Allen Bradley 520 two-speed starter for the high & low speeds.
Both starters have 120-volt coils so the controls will run off a separate 120-volt line, here's a picture of the starters & enclosure I'll be using.
IMG_9222.JPG
The enclosure will be mounted to the garage wall behind the lathe and this 6-button panel.
IMG_9198.JPG
will also be mounted to the wall, but with a bracket that locates it up above the turret head.
Probably something similar to pic# 6 in this old SB catalog.
Control Panel Locations .jpg

Last edited:
Back