13" South Bend turret lathe project

We had another little break in the weather here where the temperature didn't go below freezing for a couple nights.
I have a RV/Camper style furnace that I use for heat while I'm out working in the garage, but I don't leave it on while I'm not out there.
With the outside temperature above 30 degrees the RV furnace can heat the garage to around 65 which was good enough for me to paint the larger parts.
IMG_8185.JPGIMG_8187.JPGIMG_8193.JPGIMG_8189.JPGIMG_8205.JPG

Doug

WOW!!
THAT is going to be one super nice looking lathe!!
OUTSTANDING!!!

Now that is something I didn’t know about. Very clever!
The units are kind of pricey for the occasional user, but their great for motor & electronic shops because they don't leave any residue & they don't get the parts wet.

Doug

Last edited:
After a couple of unexpected delays, I'm finally getting back to working on the 13" South Bend lathe.

I reassembled the under-drive motor & drive section on a heavy-duty stand so that I didn't have to try assembling it laying on the garage floor.
With the motor & under-drive section all assembled, I used my shop crane to lift the under-drive cabinet up & lower it down over the under-drive unit.
IMG_8464.JPGIMG_8465.JPG

I still need to get the correct size drive pulleys, but with the base unit back together I was able to move the base into place along the wall where I wanted to put the lathe.

IMG_8466.JPGIMG_8477.JPG

After the base was in-place, I was able to assemble the bed/legs/ and chip-pan.
IMG_8481.JPGIMG_8486.JPG

Doug

Last edited:
Due to some health-related issues I had to put this lathe project on hold for several months, but I'm slowly getting back to working on it.

My last post shows the lathe up against the wall where I plan on keeping it & I was thinking I would not need to move it from there.
Well, that plan kind of took a U-turn!

Back when I placed it up against the wall, I didn't have the correct size pulleys & not having the large pulley that goes on the counter shaft I never gave it a thought about installing it. :rolleyes:
As it turns out that pulley will not clear the top of the cabinet opening enough to fit on the shaft without removing the motor or lowering the whole assembly down off of the pivot shaft.
IMG_8468.JPG

To make things more interesting I just placed this Powermatic 1200HD I recently picked-up & my 20" Walker Turner drill press in front of the lathe! This gives me a roughly three-foot-wide area in-between the lathe & the drill presses which is enough room to use the machines, but not enough to get my shop-crane in there. :oops: This led me to come up with a "Plan-B" option.

I braced some scrap aluminum blocks in-between the bed & the chip pan then I used a small scissor-jack to lift up the bed just enough to get the base out. Once I got the base out, I attached a ratchet-strap to a rafter just as a back-up for the scissor-jack.
IMG_9121.JPG
With the base clear of the lathe, I was able to use a heavy-duty appliance dolly to move the base around the Powermatic where I have the room needed to work on the base. I basically reversed the previous process of installing the motor & drive assembly.
IMG_9126.JPGIMG_9136.JPGIMG_9137.JPG
I just ordered the motor pulley & belts I'll need, so I'm going to wait until I get them installed before reassembling the drive assembly in the base.

Doug

I finally got the new larger width style "B" pulley installed & the drive assembly remounted in the base!
Due to the wider B pulley I needed to grind a couple non-critical areas of the motor-mount & the bases rear pivot casting to allow clearance of the new pulley. When I got my late it had a smaller not original pulley on it, and I wasn't able to find an original! Being that the original pulley was held in-place with a tapper-pin, the shaft didn't have a keyway groove in it. I drilled & tapped two additional set screws in the pulley to help hold it in-place.
IMG_9150.JPGIMG_9176.JPGIMG_9180.JPG
IMG_9187.JPGIMG_9185.JPGPulley Setscrews .jpg

I'm going to be leaving the underdrive base up on the stand for now so I can work on wiring the motor up once I get the control panel & starters figured out.
IMG_9177.JPGIMG_9182.JPGIMG_9179.JPG

Doug

When they sandblasted your bed, they didn't hit the ways, did they?

Back