12 volt outlets

As someone who once did record switch power plant stuff...

DC voltage drop is a concern.

Wire size is critical, lower voltage requires larger wire.

Original commercial power was DC until Tesla, but that is another story.

Feedback DC supplies are common, these have feedback connections so output is 4 wires.

2 each for load and feedback.

They are parallel to the load, but the feedback allows the power supply to deliver rated voltage to the load, at the load by adjusting the voltage by the feedback.

If you plan on powering say 1 hp of load at 12 volts is somewhere around 60 amps.

1/2 HP is 30.

So go with 1/2 for arguments sake.

Suggested wire size per code is number 10.

Too lazy to look up voltage drop, but wire length matters with lower voltage as a small difference in available voltage makes huge difference in required wire size.

Using line voltage with portable power supplies allows smaller wires and standardized connectors.

DC distribution done PROPERLY required a distribution panel with DC rated breakers for the loads.

Fuses work, but breakers better.

I see the want for doing this and on the surface sounds like good idea.

However, if the loads are more than minimal, it cost to build it to where it will work properly will be excessive.

Not done properly will be a disappointment.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
10AWG copper drops 1 mv/ft/amp. Double or halve for every three wire gauge sizes. i.e., 13 AWG drops 2 mv/ft/amp and 7AWG drops ,.5mv/ft/amp.

Raise your hand if you know what this is...

I've dragged the 50-footer cables through the mud plenty, only 85 lbs!

Good for 1,000 amps x 6 minutes or 500 A continuous.

SN-2242.jpg
sn-2165.jpg

Aside from having two cables, it looks like a high-power RF coaxial connector - the kind that would be used on military equipment.

That's 24 VDC. I'm going military and "starter motor"...
Good job spotting the small print. Military jumper cable, or ground power to airplane/helicopter seems like a good guess. Hard to imagine what else might need 12KW - 24KW on low voltage DC.

Yep, primarily designed for "slave" powering vehicles for starting, they are also used for field-expedient carbon-arc cutters, electric impacts, and lots of communication equipment (like generators to microwave arrays). It's universal in NATO militaries. It was such a great system that I thought of adapting something like it to off-road toys. Only problem is that universality bit. And jumper cables already exist.

Back