101.07301 - Newb Needs Help

I tend to agree with Matt. Another (and probably for an Atlas built machine better) source of background material on using a lathe is the Atlas Manual of Lathe Operations (MOLO). This first came out in 1937 and was reprinted 32 times over the years, with 10 different versions. Although the MOLO was primarily written for the Atlas 10" and/or Craftsman 12", from 1955 on, it included threading charts applicable to the 6" (none of the editions that are Copyright 1937 show anything specific to the 6"). The Atlas 618 and the derivative Craftsman 101.07301 are, except for the countershaft assembly, scaled down copies of the Craftsman 101.07403 12". So most photos of that model 12" are similar to your lathe. The best edition of the MOLO for a 6" would be the Craftsman version of the 1955 16th Edition. These sometimes turn up on eBay.

Good point Robert, I completely forgot about the MOLO. I should get around to reading that at some point too :)

The W68-2A Boring Table is only for the larger lathes 9", 10", 12" and I'm toying with what I might do on a 618.
LMS PN 1664 is a T-slot table and might be used to convert the Cross Slide. Has anyone does something similar?
This table is 1" thick, so that doesn't leave much room to the centerline. I saw a post on another forum where someone
used a salvaged Cross Slide, milled off the knob and bolted it up. Comments?

I would not mess with the 1664 , mainly you have no height axes . Unless you have a specific job for it . A milling attachment I think will be the way to go . The milling attachment vise (jaw) is awkward at best for holding small parts . I got around that by mounting a vise on a block that bolts in the jaw . Also I made a face plate , it is a alu. plate with a piece of bar stock screwed to it that goes into the jaw . Also I mounted a travel indicator on the milling attachment that is very handy . I could post some pics. if anyone would like . Anyhow here is my milling attachment set up .
Mark .

Last edited:
are the compounds on a 101 and 109 the same i am having trouble locating one for a 101 ebay is full of 109s right now

Back