101.07301 - Newb Needs Help

Csd1984

Registered
Registered
Hi guys. This is my first post here. What inspired this post is a recent purchase of the 101.07301. I have attached pictures of the lathe and all of the parts that came with it. Here are my questions, and really my overall thoughts on this machine...

Firstly, I'm a complete newb at everything related to metal work and lathes. I bought this lathe from a coworker, hoping it was for wood turning, because I do wood working on the side. The thought of turning metal is a bit intimidating to me, but kind of exciting. Have any of you used this lathe for wood turning? I'd like to do both.

Next, can you look at my pictures and tell me if anything about my lathe seems weird, off or missing? How do I go about identifying all these parts? I have no idea what any of them do or what their names are! Does it appear I need new belts or are mine ok? If I do, where do I get them and how do I search for the right ones? Also, is it easy to switch the power cord to a newer one with a ground? I need to replace mine.20160210_170133.jpg 20160210_170206.jpg 20160210_182406.jpg 20160210_170356.jpg 20160210_170106.jpg 20160210_170327.jpg 20160210_170305.jpg

Lastly, any of your favorite websites (preferably geared toward newbs), information you wished you would have had starting out or anything else would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you and hello,
Chris 20160210_170236.jpg

You've got yourself a nice little lathe there! Cabinet, motor, plenty of accessories and tooling. You'd be amazed at all the neat things that little machine can do. I'd start by downloading a copy of "How to Run a Lathe". It's readily available for free just google it. There's likely a copy here on this site. Then, get some Scotchbrite and steel wool and clean that machine up a bit give it a good oiling. I imagine the owners manual is available on-line as well. But it shouldn't be to hard to figure out what needs oiling regularly. The one thing I don't like about that lathe is the hand wheels aren't calibrated. I beleive they used 5/16 18 threads on the compound and cross slide leads screws. 18 doesn't divide out very nicely. If I owned it I'd want one of my first projects would be to change that to 20 tpi (.050 per turn) and make a graduated dial for the hand wheel. Otherwise that's a god starter machine. If you start fixin things what need round parts you'll be amazed how often you use that thing. Best of luck with it.

I sure wouldn't be turning wood on it though.

mws,

You may be confusing the 101.07301 with one of the 6 x 18 or 6 x 12 AA lathes that Sears also sold. This one does have graduated dials on both the cross feed and the compound feed. If you look at the closeup top view of the compound and cross slide, you can see the one on the compound. The cross feed uses the same part. The differences between this machine and the Atlas 618 or Craftsman 101.21400 are that it has the "A" rev countershaft bracket instead of the "B", it has sleeve spindle bearings and a ball thrust bearing instead of Timken tapered roller bearings, and it has a 1"-8 spindle nose thread instead of 1"-10 on the other two. So the spindles and headstock castings are different. Otherwise, the rest of the parts are the same.

Nice score. Clean it, oil it, get yourself a quick-change tool post, and start making chips!

Great pics of a sweet score!. Now if you find a three jaw in that roller cab...

Great pics of a sweet score!. Now if you find a three jaw in that roller cab...

I have a four jaw... Will that work? It's pictured above in the accessories. Im still trying to figure out how to take off the other part so I can put it on...

20160211_181507.jpg I got the belt on and the lathe at least working now! The tail piece is movable now but it looks like someone modified the bottom of it with a bar to make it fit the sliding frame on the bottom, or maybe it's factory I don't know. You can see the bar in the picture above with the 2 screws removed. I can remove the bar and put the tail piece back on, but then the tail piece is very loose on the track. The problem is there is a nut on the top of the tail piece that tightens down an apparatus on the very bottom side of the tail piece (rectangle piece of metal pictured above, removed) and when both the bar and the bracket are on together, the bottom of the tail piece catches on some bars on the frame that run perpendicular below the sliding track, because the bracket doesn't fit flat. I was thinking it was due to the orientation of the bracket, but I've spun it around in every direction and it just doesn't sit flat. Wtf?

mws,

You may be confusing the 101.07301 with one of the 6 x 18 or 6 x 12 AA lathes that Sears also sold. This one does have graduated dials ...
Great! I stand corrected. That's much to your benefit! I'm not sure what the modification to your tailstock might be but ideally, it should slide the entire length of the bed and remain aligned with the headstock. When tightened, the bottom clamp should pull up under the bed and lock the tailstock in place. If that not what's happening something ain't right. The long dimension of the bottom clamp plate should be positioned across the width of the ways so it cannot rotate and the slot should hold the square head of the hold down bolt from turning as well. I believe you are showing the plate upside-down from how it would normally be mounted in the machine. I'm sure there's a few folks here who could be more informative. I look forward to seeing your first product from this machine.
Mark

Thanks for your help Mark. It appears I'm missing the saddle carriage lock... Ordered it.

Back