101.07301 - Newb Needs Help

That tail stock mod seems odd. Did you get the tailstock clamp to tighten correctly?
Four jaw chucks are necessary for certain work. (imho) The self entering aspect of the three jaw is more user friendly.

mws,

The "tail piece" is called the Tailstock. The bar with the two holes in it is called a Gib (or gib). The two slotted head wierd looking flat head screws at top and bottom of the base (in the photo - with the tailstock on the ways, they would be left and right) are for adjusting the gib out against the vertical side of the rear way. Their long tapered heads bear against the slightly beveled corners of the gib.

Reinstall the gib, running the screws up just slightly more than finger tight. Set the tailstock and base back on the bed, with the taller part of the base and the gib down between the ways. Tighten the gib adjusting screws until there is just a slight drag when you slide the tailstock left or right (with the ways properly oiled with SAE 20 ND or way oil). Theoretically, there should be zero clearance between the gib and the rear way. But in practice, due to wear it may be a little looser near the headstock. You may want to slide it up to about the 9" point and slightly tighten the adjusting screws. When you are satisfied with its movement, put a work light on the bench under the tailstock and using a mirror and stubby screw driver, snug up the round head screws.

Then reinstall the clamp, square head bolt, washer and nut and tighten the nut firmly. To loosen it so that you can move the tailstock, it shouldn't take more than a quarter turn of the nut. That looks like the correct clamp. And it shouldn't strike the bed webs unless it is loosened too much.

If you will move the unrelated stuff out of the way and arrange the parts that you have in neat rows and columns (so that we can say for example "Column 1 Row 4 is a 4-jaw chuck" ) we can probably ID most of the pieces. Might take two photos, one for the large items and one for the small ones.

I don't see any modifications to the tailstock or base. For some strange reason, my eyes keep wanting to tell me that the back corner of the rectangular slot in the base )part that is as cast) is sticking out instead of in.

Oh! Of course. From the picture I thought that gib was some bar that mounted ACROSS the ways as shown in the picture. He just unscrewed it an leaned it across the tailstock base so perfectly centered and squared I thought it was mounted there. Duhh! I'm not sure I see the required taper in those gib parts but it's only one view and assume it's playing tricks on my eyes too. I'd like to get a "little" lathe some day. Something less than 6", maybe a jewelers lathe. Maybe I should just build one! Yeah, that's a good idea! Right after Project number 1,279. I'm up to project 197 at the moment. At about 15 projects per year I should live so long! :)

If you will move the unrelated stuff out of the way and arrange the parts that you have in neat rows and columns (so that we can say for example "Column 1 Row 4 is a 4-jaw chuck" ) we can probably ID most of the pieces. Might take two photos, one for the large items and one for the small ones.

Thank you! Here are more organized pictures.

20160212_081709~2.jpg 20160212_081735~2.jpg

Also here is a link of the lathe in operation. Can I adjust the speed without turning it off (assuming that's what that lever does)? It seems extremely noisy on the two other settings.

OK. Top to bottom, left to right. photo 1 then photo 2

Photo 1
Column 1
Row
1 Change gears. For complement of full set, see Parts List in Downloads. Don't forget to include those that are on the lathe.
2 Small aluminum oxide grinding wheel.
3 ?.
4 Cup brush for small drill chuck.
5 Tailstock partially disassembled - with live center in ram (turn handwheel to eject).

Column 2
Row
1 Drill chuck on arbor, probably 1MT for tailstock.
2 Some sort of face plate, presumably threaded 1"-8 for the headstock spindle.
3 4-jaw chuck, maybe 3".
4 Face plate, maybe 5".
5 Holder for some model or models of die grinders.

Column 3
Row
1 3 drill chuck keys plus one square key probably for 4-jaw chuck.
2 Small outside calipers.
3 Adjustable lathe dog for driving square parts. Mount part between centers in spindle and tailstock. Clamp dog to part with drive pin in open slot in face plate.
4 Lathe dog for round parts. They come in a range of diameters. Used like adjustable one.

Photo 2
Column 1
Row
1 ?
2 Armstrong cutter holder. Fits lantern style tool post mounted on compound slide.
3 Armstrong cutter holder.
4 ?.
5 Shop made arbor of some sort.
6 Carriage stop. Presumably #6810 or Sears equivalent.

Column 2
Row
1 3 HSS (High Speed Steel) cutters. Fit Armstrong tool holders.
2 Misc socket head screws.
3 More screws.
4 Some sort of adjustable spacer. Can' tell if tapered, but if so, one of a pair.
5 2 screws. washers & square nuts to fit a thin T-slot. Look like those supplied with Universal Compound Vise table.
6 Straight dead center, maybe shop made. Could be held in drill chuck in headstock or tailstock. Dead centers are normally 1MT, 2MT, etc.
7 ? Piece of solid round stock.
9 Another straight shank dead center.
10 ? If it has 1"-8 threads, might be a shop made spindle thread protector.

Column 3
Row (not lined up with column 1 & 2).
1 2 brass nuts, probably for carriage cross slide.
2 Nut, possible for change gears.
3 ?.
4 Either M6-45 Sleeve or M6-46 Lock (has square pocket one end, for square head bolt) Locks for tailstock ram.
5 ?.
6 M6-42 threaded Handle. Used to tighten bolt through M6-45 & M6-46 to lock tailstock ram.
7 One of a pair of half-nuts for carriage.
8 ? washer.

Column 4
Row (just counting from top).
1 ? 2 washers. Might be for change gears. Compare to what's on left end of lathe.
2 ? Might be compound slide feed nut, if it has a hole drilled and tapped through side.
3 Change gear spacer.
4 Wrench?
5 M6-115 Wrench. Open end should fit tailstock lock nut. Square end fits tool post screw, carriage lock screw, carriage stop screws, compound swivel screws.

I hope that you went through the full lube order before you started it. :)

WA5CAB,
Nice job naming all those parts. I think some of those parts got swept up with the lathe and don't actually belong, like the die grinder holder?
Photo 2, Column 1, Row 1 : Tool rod for a surface gage, like a Lufkin #520
Column 1, Row 4 and Column 3, Row 5 both look like very interesting tools. The one in column 3 has graduations and fine adjustments. Looks vaguely familiar but I can't place it.
Lathe sounded a little DRY! Machine tools rarely suffer from an abundance of lubrication! Oil's cheap, use liberally. :)
I still don't see what looks like a gib in tailstock collection.

Back