Whole House Generators

I have 2 x 120 gal tanks , they serve my pool heater (defunct), and shortly will be my backup heat when the temp gets too low that the new heat pump can't provide the heat.

When our 22kw generator was installed, it required three 120 gallon tanks due to the temperature our area gets down to. I don’t know how different that would be for you in NJ, but should be easy to install another tank if needed. We decided to purchase a 500 gallon tank so that we could choose who we wanted to buy propane from instead of leasing the smaller tanks. I had two 40# tanks hooked up to our fireplace since the propane company wanted to charge us to lease the tanks since we used it so infrequently.

Since you are hooking your propane up to a heating system, check and see if that makes your propane tax exempt, if it isn’t already. Here in CT, propane used for a generator is taxable, but when hooked up to a residential heating system, our fireplace, it becomes tax exempt.

I am curious, I have a ranch, 65 feet of house length.
Propane is on the garage side of the house, and electrical 65 feet away ingress and breaker box.
If I were to put a unit in, would I put the unit near the propane and send power 65 feet, or would I put the unit near the breaker box (and bedrooms)?

Seems I have the worst setup for this. I currently power some using a backfeed through my dryer port.
That’s very similar to the way my house is configured. The gas is on one end of the house and the load center is in the garage at the opposite end. It’s in a cul-de-sac so the back yard is wide and shallow and there are lots of windows and two doors. No chance of setting it near the house and as far as recommended from windows and doors. I’ll have to work with the installer to find a good location. It’s probably going to add to the installation cost but que sera sera.

I currently power some using a backfeed through my dryer port.
Just keep in mind that such backfeed should have a transfer switch so there is no chance of driving power out to the transformer. Otherwise lineman who are working on restoring your power are at risk of electrocution.

Just keep in mind that such backfeed should have a transfer switch so there is no chance of driving power out to the transformer. Otherwise lineman who are working on restoring your power are at risk of electrocution.
I just shut the main when I power up.
If I didn't, I would have to run a lot of cable to the box, and have a separate outlet for the generator, not doing that, not unless I go full home generator on auto. My needs have been few, we wait out the small losses of power. We were out 14 days for Sandy, and that was full time run on the generator. I have used it maybe a half dozen times for long periods of a few days. Lately they are occurring more frequently though. So still on the fence about upgrading, but getting there. I now have the generator parked outside under a tarp.

I have the Briggs and Stratton Fortress 12KV whole house generator and I am very happy with it. I've had it for 7 years and it hasn't missed a beat, I highly recommend it.

I just shut the main when I power up.
If I didn't, I would have to run a lot of cable to the box, ...
Jeff
For someone who critiques others on safety, that's damn callous. If by any chance someone in your household flips that main breaker back on, it can actually energize the high voltage lines on the street poles. While a remote chance, that is easily lethal to someone working on restoring power, or even some kid stupid enough to get too close to downed lines that would otherwise be de-energized. I guarantee you that lineman in your area, if they find out you're doing that, will take a strong disliking to you. Typically by opening up the fuse on your transformer and forgetting to close it when grid power returns. It is one of their nightmare scenarios, so that is for their own safety.

Not worried about it,my wife won't flip the main, and my dog is incapable.

Edit: and as far as critiquing others on safety, it's rare, and more of advise to newbies when they obviously appear to be clueless.

Last edited:
Back