WHAT FLY CUTTER TOOL??

Speaking of fly cutters, can I assume the this TPG 321 insert is installed correctly? Is this an example of a positive rake?
Looks about right. We bought a bunch of the multi-insert cutters of that style with just a hold-down screw, no clamp. They were cheap and used the same TPG-32x as we used on the lathes. They are an old tech cutter and insert, but they work. As you noticed, it may be positive rake, but just barely. You will probably want to get some 322 or 323 inserts to improve finish.

I hate to be critical, but you are paying a substantial premium to avoid Chinese made and, at least in this case
that cutter looks worse than what the Chinese are producting. I can understand if your choice is driven by considerations other than price, but you shouldn't have to settle for reduced quality in the bargain. Here's one of the few I found that uses TPG inserts, most use newer style inserts.

Looks about right. We bought a bunch of the multi-insert cutters of that style with just a hold-down screw, no clamp. They were cheap and used the same TPG-32x as we used on the lathes. They are an old tech cutter and insert, but they work. As you noticed, it may be positive rake, but just barely. You will probably want to get some 322 or 323 inserts to improve finish.

I hate to be critical, but you are paying a substantial premium to avoid Chinese made and, at least in this case
that cutter looks worse than what the Chinese are producting. I can understand if your choice is driven by considerations other than price, but you shouldn't have to settle for reduced quality in the bargain. Here's one of the few I found that uses TPG inserts, most use newer style inserts.

I did notice that the quality was not impressive. My consideration for buying American, Taiwanese, German, Polish, Japanese, etc. has a great deal to do with geopolitics, as well as my past experience with mainland Chinese products.

Last edited:
I did notice that the quality was not impressive. My consideration for buying American, Taiwanese, German, Polish, Japanese, etc. has a great deal to do with geopolitics, as well as my past experience with mainland Chinese products.
Sierra American makes decent fly cutters in the USA.

So does Suburban Tool.

Back