WHAT FLY CUTTER TOOL??

A left had cutter has the cutting edge on the right side. Looking at the fly cutter from the bottom, draw a line that divides the cutter in half. That is the centerline of the cutter. The cutting edge of the tool must be in in alignment with that centerline.

View attachment 410696
I am suffering from a lack of intelligence today. I meant to say "brazed carbide" not cemented carbide.

just cut this with a 5/16 brazed carbide tip , looks pretty shiny but you can see the swirl marks....................oh no!!!!! just seen your picture , the bit is going the other way from mine !! LOL however the part looks pretty damn good for my "screwup >>>>>>>> you did good sir, thanx

Attachments

• 100_3791.JPG
    100_3791.JPG
    486.6 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Your tool is not in correctly . :grin: Rotate it 90 degrees !

^^^
Yep. I was going to say the same thing.

Try to set the diameter of the tool to just past the outside of your part to keep the invisible spinning protruding toolbit as short as possible. If you are lucky the toolbit will be inside the diameter of the holder which will be much safer. This setup also reduces the shock loading on the toolbit as it allows the toolbit to gradually engage with the part at almost a tangent. It also gives a much smoother cut, reducing vibration & helping with surface finish.

Try to set the diameter of the tool to just past the outside of your part to keep the invisible spinning protruding toolbit as short as possible. If you are lucky the toolbit will be inside the diameter of the holder which will be much safer. This setup also reduces the shock loading on the toolbit as it allows the toolbit to gradually engage with the part at almost a tangent. It also gives a much smoother cut, reducing vibration & helping with surface finish.
yes Ive been watching that..........am getting a smooth surface but you can see tool swirls in the work which I assume is common?

yes Ive been watching that..........am getting a smooth surface but you can see tool swirls in the work which I assume is common?
Yes they are caused by the tool touching on the trailing edge. Even the best trammed head can cause this. It can be from the tool deflecting upwards when cutting and relaxing on the trailing side.
I don't worry too much trying to acheive the prefect surface finish with any cutter. A quick pass with a random orbital sander using various grades of Scotchbrite will quickly produce an excellent satin finish.

rod post?? if you mean change the tool position already did it.........
Sorry Dan , that was not for you .
.am getting a smooth surface but you can see tool swirls in the work which I assume is common?
Yes , that is normal . When you are perfectly in tram , the swirls will look like a cross hatch pattern . :encourage:

Back