WHAT FLY CUTTER TOOL??

riversidedan

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
got curious and picked up a 1/2 shank fly cutter set with HSS tools so of course am looking for tool shape ideas to face 6061 stuff, have seen some videos but am not sure what shape to grind so looking for ideas........

If all you're doing is top milling , an out of the box tool blank would cut . For other applications , yes , you do need to grind clearance . Really depends on what you want to do Dan . PS . Watch those chips , they come off hot .

I like to use cemented carbide tooling in my fly cutters. I got a lifetime supply of left and right 5/16 and 3/8 cutters very cheap several years ago. No grinding necessary. I give 'em a lick with a diamond hone and put them to work.

I like to use cemented carbide tooling in my fly cutters. I got a lifetime supply of left and right 5/16 and 3/8 cutters very cheap several years ago. No grinding necessary. I give 'em a lick with a diamond hone and put them to work.
hot damn ! forgot all about those and still have some used in the lathe, question is since the spindle turns CW would I use a right or left hand tool???

Last edited:
hot damn ! forgot all about those and still have some used in my lathe, question is since the spindle turns CW would I use a right or left hand tool???
Left hand. Just remember that the cutting edge of the tool needs to be on the centerline of the fly cutter. I have a shop made fly cutter that uses right hand cutters. I just run the mill CCW. I screwed up when I made it. I cut the channel for the tool on the wrong side of the centerline. Now I claim I did it on purpose so that I can use the right hand cutters that I have. :)

just took a pic of the setup assuming its correct?? what I dont get is " the cutting edge of the tool needs to be on the center line of the cutter???.......ya got me on that one! maybe you have a picture??

Attachments

• 100_3790.JPG
    100_3790.JPG
    305.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 100_3789.JPG
    100_3789.JPG
    293.7 KB · Views: 27
just took a pic of the setup assuming its correct?? what I dont get is " the cutting edge of the tool needs to be on the center line of the cutter???.......ya got me on that one! maybe you have a picture??
A left had cutter has the cutting edge on the right side. Looking at the fly cutter from the bottom, draw a line that divides the cutter in half. That is the centerline of the cutter. The cutting edge of the tool must be in in alignment with that centerline.

1655767669114.jpeg

Back