What Did You Buy Today?

It was a GOOD day here! I brought home a bit of GM history....5x6' table with a webbed, cast iron base and 2.25" thick ground steel top. I calculated the weight of the top at around 2,600lbs, but after seeing the base and legs I'm guessing the table is way over 4K. My track loader was light on the back like when I unloaded my 20-24 Industrial Universal G&E shaper...yikes! I'm not leaving the table where it's pictured, but I had an idea and rolled my two MIG welders over to it and created my own version of "MIG Alley" (Korean war reference for you youngsters). The table has a Fisher Body G.M.C. property tag as well as a manufacturer's tag I though was pretty cool.

I also got a box of goodies from Clausing....the last couple of parts to put my 6913 back together and a new VS bushing (plus spares) for a 5904 I plan to sell soon.
Wow!!! And yes, I'm old enough to know the reference. Great that you could get the screw. The 11/16" screw for the 85XX mills has been unobtainum for a long time. They did very kindly provide the engineering drawing.

I like MSC and use them now and again, have an account with free shipping. they have the best pricing on Phase II tool holders for quick change tool posts.

Not actually something I bought - this was the result of some horse trading. Not actually a tool, either. More of an in-complete project which completely enamored me when I saw it.

This is a partially completed 1/4 scale 270ci Offy motor, built following Ron Colanna's book, "Building the 1/4 Scale 270 Offy: A Workshop Manual"

This is probably 80-90% complete as far as the machining goes. What's left as far as I can tell at this time is the ignition, induction and exhaust systems. The machining appeared (to me) mind-boggling to execute as I read through the shop manual. A little research on the name on envelopes and invoices in the tub that this came in gave me some clue as to it's history. A local gentleman who, according to his obituary, was primarily a woodworker by hobby and moved to metal work later in life, built this just a few miles from me, around 2012, when he was 83 years old. He passed at 93.

The tub was filled with the major components, roughly 100 pill bottles full of small parts, special tooling he made for the project, including a miniature valve spring compressor, assorted mandrels, and many other parts and pieces - some of which came from other ICE projects. Block, pistons and head are 6061 alum, rods are 4140 with silver bearings, crank and cylinder sleeves are 1144SP, cams are O1 tool steel, rings are made from cast iron. No castings are used in this project; everything but fasteners, clips and bearings is made from stock. Valve springs were made from music wire. Valves appear to be 3XX stainless. Many of the outer surfaces were bead blasted to mimic a cast finish.

The motor has some wear on the piston sides, etc., but appears to be from dry running the motor - presumably to check compression or set the cast iron rings?? No sign of combustion on any surfaces however, plus there's no carburation, exhaust or ignition other than some electronic bits and some magneto pars in a pill bottle to get the model to run, yet. Beyond just admiring the sheer cool-factor of this thing, eventually I'd like to try to tackle finishing off the project to the point of getting this running. Sort of a tribute to the original builder, MHRIP.

Not sure if this is the appropriate spot for this. I'll probably put a post in the ICE section too, but for now I just hope you enjoy the pictures as much as I have enjoyed looking this thing over, digging through the tub and discovering the bits and pieces in awe.

1000001861.jpg
1000001847.jpg
1000001848.jpg
1000001849.jpg
1000001850.jpg
1000001851.jpg
1000001852.jpg
1000001853.jpg
1000001855.jpg
1000001856.jpg

Attachments

• 20241018_145606.jpg
    20241018_145606.jpg
    322.8 KB · Views: 11
Not actually something I bought - this was the result of some horse trading. Not actually a tool, either. More of an in-complete project which completely enamored me when I saw it.

This is a partially completed 1/4 scale 270ci Offy motor, built following Ron Colanna's book, "Building the 1/4 Scale 270 Offy: A Workshop Manual"

This is probably 80-90% complete as far as the machining goes. What's left as far as I can tell at this time is the ignition, induction and exhaust systems. The machining appeared (to me) mind-boggling to execute as I read through the shop manual. A little research on the name on envelopes and invoices in the tub that this came in gave me some clue as to it's history. A local gentleman who, according to his obituary, was primarily a woodworker by hobby and moved to metal work later in life, built this just a few miles from me, around 2012, when he was 83 years old. He passed at 93.

The tub was filled with the major components, roughly 100 pill bottles full of small parts, special tooling he made for the project, including a miniature valve spring compressor, assorted mandrels, and many other parts and pieces - some of which came from other ICE projects. Block, pistons and head are 6061 alum, rods are 4140 with silver bearings, crank and cylinder sleeves are 1144SP, cams are O1 tool steel, rings are made from cast iron. No castings are used in this project; everything but fasteners, clips and bearings is made from stock. Valve springs were made from music wire. Valves appear to be 3XX stainless. Many of the outer surfaces were bead blasted to mimic a cast finish.

The motor has some wear on the piston sides, etc., but appears to be from dry running the motor - presumably to check compression or set the cast iron rings?? No sign of combustion on any surfaces however, plus there's no carburation, exhaust or ignition other than some electronic bits and some magneto pars in a pill bottle to get the model to run, yet. Beyond just admiring the sheer cool-factor of this thing, eventually I'd like to try to tackle finishing off the project to the point of getting this running. Sort of a tribute to the original builder, MHRIP.

Not sure if this is the appropriate spot for this. I'll probably put a post in the ICE section too, but for now I just hope you enjoy the pictures as much as I have enjoyed looking this thing over, digging through the tub and discovering the bits and pieces in awe.

View attachment 506591
View attachment 506592
View attachment 506593
View attachment 506594
View attachment 506595
View attachment 506596
View attachment 506597
View attachment 506598
View attachment 506599
View attachment 506600
Sweet....

View attachment 506591
View attachment 506592
View attachment 506593
View attachment 506594
View attachment 506595
View attachment 506596
View attachment 506597
View attachment 506598
View attachment 506599
View attachment 506600
That's fantastic. That looks like it'd be a very rewarding project to finish, with the added bonus of a lovely tribute to the original builder. :)

Amazing! I hope you can finish her.

I hope so too. Currently I'm a bit overwhelmed by the scope of this project. Where did he leave off? What did he intend to come back to? What needed modification or adjustment? So much to assess - what's good, what needs redone or re-addressed, etc. Plus coming up with an induction system. The book was written around 2000, so there may be better options than the RC carbs available when the book was published. I can't imagine trying to sync 4 carbs on a 6.33 CI engine! I saw a YT where a builder scratch-made a Hilborn type of fuel injection for his. Pills were .0045"!

Same with the ignition system. Book calls for an RC scale magneto system. Again, hoping the offerings today are improved over 24 years ago.

Right now just enjoying the eye-candy aspect, and reading the manual to get familiar with the building process.

Reactions: rwm
Check out some of the builds from @rdean . He has a lot of small IC engines with various carbs and ignition systems!

Back