Updated opinions PM vs Grizzly

That applies to any machine, just the likelihood of major defects is much less and typically they are addressed by the disturber. Also, the inexpensive lathes and mills, you get what you pay for. I know numerous individuals that have bought higher quality/cost Taiwanese SunMaster lathes (ERL, RML, TRL, TL) and mills made by First Industries (LCM, LMV, etc.) and no issues or QC complaints. You pay less. You get less.
I have been burned by both China and Taiwan machines so I'm cautious. Of the machines I have purchased Taiwan overwhelmingly gets the nod on fit and finish it's not even a contest. Taiwan almost always good, China almost always bad. Generally Taiwan machined/ground surfaces are superior. I would say the quality of the iron is also better.

I've had 3 Grizzly machines, cheaper and show it. One I turned in to an OK machine, the other two I sold after much frustration. I have a Jet 9x49 mill made in Taiwan, no problems. I have an PM1440HD Chinese lathe. It came with some quality control problems that were taken care of by Matt's Quality Tool Co. I checked the gear boxes for garbage but they were clean. The threading gear box leaks oil due to very thin casting edges. I tried to fix it. Putting it back together was a struggle. Leaks less but still leaks a bit. The chucks that came with the lathe work but are obviously lower end. I got 5C & ER40 chucks from PM. The 5C is excellent the ER40 not so much. I got a 7" 3 jaw from Grizzly branded South Bend, made in Taiwan. Very nice chuck. I can see a pattern here, stuff from Taiwan is likely to be of higher quality.

I have been burned by both China and Taiwan machines so I'm cautious. Of the machines I have purchased Taiwan overwhelmingly gets the nod on fit and finish it's not even a contest. Taiwan almost always good, China almost always bad. Generally Taiwan machined/ground surfaces are superior. I would say the quality of the iron is also better.
I have 2 Chinese machines and a Taiwanese machine and there is a difference in the fit and finish, the Taiwanese machine has very little body filler; however, I have owned, in the past, a couple Bridgeport lathes and I can tell you I do not find that I expend any more energy acquiring an in kind accuracy level and ease of use, there is a bit more effort required to obtain perpendicular surfaces on occasion but that isn't a Chinese issue, it is the difference between a square column mill where the head moves up and down and a knee mill and with a bit more effort and awareness I can overcome this issue easily.

Back