Trouble with Allen Wrenches

For a good portion of my career I used Allen wrenches on a daily basis in a production environment. The absolute best I ever had were made by Unbrako ( https://unbrako.com/wrenches )
I have a few that have been twisted so hard they look like a barber pole and I don't remember ever having one break.

Ted

It's all about fit. I keep all my Allen wrenches in a jumbled configuration and use the trial and error method.
You can't imagine the REAL meaning of jumbled . :grin: Homer buckets full , drawers full , containers full . I can't spread them out fast enough .

2 trips to the daughters new place , she has 2 full sets of metric and standard . Wait till the Kennedy boxed arrive ! :grin:

I've got a labeled pouch-full of inch size, and a pouch-full of metric, and a complete
set with both, and an organizer of inch-size kept with an organizer of metric-size.
On random collections, I try to use colored lacquer (fingernail polish)
on the metric ones.
It still doesn't catch everything, even if I can find 'em all.
There was a hole saw using a Torx setscrew that most recently wasted
my time....
I'd like a machine-vision identifier for socket screws, hex bolts and nuts,
and thread pitch/thread start identification. A magic eye, in other words.
Bonus points for philips/pozidrive/JIS/Torx/Bristol/Robertson/slot-dimension/threadform identification.

OP, are you sure the 1/16 set screw isn't wallowed out? That would make the Allen key seem too small.

Rick "hoping that's not the problem" Denney

I’m having trouble finding the right size for the set screw. After spending extensive time turning this flywheel, machining the set screw down, and then drilling and tapping a hole for it, I discovered I don’t actually have an Allen wrench that fits it.
It’s between a 1/16 and a 5/64.
1/16 was barely too small and 5/64 was a little too big. It’s a 6-32 so I don’t think it would be metric. It seems as though all the tiny sets I’ve been looking at don’t have anything in between those sizes. Anyone have an idea of what size I’d need and where to find it?
some imperial set screws have metric allens. I bought a set of HF for fill and hate them because of that. So I avoid using them, but again they are for fill if I don't have the right size.

+ 1 on the Chapman sets . They've lived in my top drawer since 1999 . :encourage:

Most likely the set screw is bad . I've run across bad ones over the years and just toss them .

You can also taper grind the oversize wrench to fit that screw if you need to , kind of like a " sock it out " tool . Or just buy a set , and use a tap wrench to tighten .
View attachment 506577
Early 80's for my first Chapman set #8900. Still have it.

Since then, I bought their full set #1000. https://chapmanmfg.com/collections/all
Well made, long lasting, spare bits readily available (and inexpensive to buy single bits). Nice ball detents, so the bits don't fall out. Good stuff.

I’m having trouble finding the right size for the set screw. After spending extensive time turning this flywheel, machining the set screw down, and then drilling and tapping a hole for it, I discovered I don’t actually have an Allen wrench that fits it.
It’s between a 1/16 and a 5/64.
1/16 was barely too small and 5/64 was a little too big. It’s a 6-32 so I don’t think it would be metric. It seems as though all the tiny sets I’ve been looking at don’t have anything in between those sizes. Anyone have an idea of what size I’d need and where to find it?

That "should" be a 1/16 allen wrench. But there are issues....

The tolerance of the screw MIGHT be spot on. it MIGHT be sloppy. It MIGHT have a metric drive size on an SAE thread.
I have no idea where your screw came from, or if it's got any kind of pedigree....

The tolerance of your wrench MIGHT be spot on. It Might be sloppy. It MIGHT be worn some. It MIGHT have certain sizes purposely out of spec because you can "squeak by" on some metric sizes...

If your set includes an 0.050 key, double check that you havn't stuck the two (that and the 1/16) in the wrong slots,s

Bottom line, get out your measuring tools.... If it doesn't work properly (which on stuff that small will still be "weak" feeling, and will strip right out if you yarn on it too hard. The torque on a screw that size not much....), but if it doesnt' work properly, SOMEBODY's dimensions are off...

With hex keys, the TOOL is smaller to dead on. a 1/16 key should be 0.0615 (sloppy) to 0.0625 (abnoxiously tight). The socket is larger to dead on. In this case, 0.0625 to 0.0635.

Back