Toro Lawn Mower Repair

Just for fun

Tim Young
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I've been working on our Toro lawn mower and I need some brake pad material. The lawn mower is the type that when you release the handle the blade stops and the engine keeps running. The break pad is 2.75 long and .625 wide, I failed to measure the thickness but I'm going to guess it is about .1875 thick. I have included a photo of the mechanism with the brake pad.

Any idea where I might find something like that?

20241011_164626.jpg20241011_164640.jpg

If you buy sheet material you will need to start with thicker material: the face needs to match the OD of the “disc” and the back needs to be flat.

Your best alternative would be to modify the mounting plate to match the OD so that you can use flexible material. You will need a specialized adhesive made for bonding friction material to metal.

Have you tried reaching out to Toro?

Working with friction material is hazardous (dust) and will ruin your tools. I worked for Raymark (then Universal & Friction Dynamics Ltd. USA): high volume dust collection, diamond played tooling, etc.

What model mower are you working on? I've replaced a couple brake pad assemblies on Toro mowers over the years. I have no Idea what the part costs these days, but they weren't all that expensive a few years ago. I opted for genuine parts rather than take a chance the pad material would be torn off the backing plate.

Personally I would cut off the L-shaped "foot" and make another which bolted on with some slotted holes, then I could have some adjustment and also use thicker material like a piece of old car tire
The factory design looks so lame...

Thanks Guys!

I have checked Toro and it is no longer available. I will check with McMaster Carr.

I have checked Toro and it is no longer available. I will check with McMaster Carr.
Tim , check on FB , they have Toro sites . I'm in the process of fixing up a pair of old Lawnboys ( bought out by Toro ) . I've found everything you could imagine in NOS . :encourage:

What model mower are you working on? I've replaced a couple brake pad assemblies on Toro mowers over the years. I have no Idea what the part costs these days, but they weren't all that expensive a few years ago. I opted for genuine parts rather than take a chance the pad material would be torn off the backing plate.

It is a 21" Recycler II Super Pro, and like I said Toro no longer makes or sales the parts.

Back