Thinking about getting a band saw for exhaust tubing.

You realize that both of these are the same saw, right?

This saw has been around for decades under dozens of different brand names. While it isn't the best saw available, it can be carefully adjusted and tweaked to work pretty decent. I know a lot of guys here have them. I have one too.

The slightly under 4" diameter material limitation can be a problem if you're working with larger pipes, or angles that would bump into the saw's frame. With a good quality USA made blade, it will cut a lot of metal. It's not "the" answer, but is certainly a viable option.

They can usually be found used on Craigslist in the sub $150 range. I got mine for $45. At that price it's pretty hard to beat, and it's a great starter saw that will do some real work.

Cheers,

GG

You can use a standard pipe cutter with the three wheels (one cuts, two track). And yes, I know it will crimp the end a bit. But it will cut square. You can use a tapered piece of steel to flare out the crimp if so desire. Or, what about a plasma cutter?

i have been using a portable saw for a few years now that i made a simple base for, basically just a piece of plate with angle iron welded to the bottom that i hold in a spare vise. works good, especially for what it is. the last couple of days i have made several cuts in 2-3" thick aluminum stock. cuts good, just slow. i have also cut 2" steel threaded rod. that is slow too and i actually cut through my finger to the bone doing that one, but it was my fault of course.

i'd like to get a nice horizontal, but i keep telling myself i don't have the room. (but i just got a 14" 8ft bed south bend and a pm-932 mill). priorities i guess.

Here's a header I built for a VW diesel that I put in my Suzuki Samurai, I cut all the tubes with a 3" zip wheel. I started out using the horizontal band saw but you sometimes need to cut and fit and cut and fit and cut and fit, the little 3" cut-off wheel lets you finesse those compound angle cuts a little better.

The $15 cut off tool I got at Wally World is the best one in my tool box, it out performs a name brand one I have that cost 5 times as much. Also the 3" wheels that HF sells that are made in Russia are the best bang for the buck, they out perform the 3M wheels we use at work.

005.JPG 012.JPG 011.JPG

Check out weldingtipsandtricks.com, and look up his video on the Porta-Band stand he built. I built one for my Porta-Band too, very handy.

Here's a header I built for a VW diesel that I put in my Suzuki Samurai, I cut all the tubes with a 3" zip wheel. I started out using the horizontal band saw but you sometimes need to cut and fit and cut and fit and cut and fit, the little 3" cut-off wheel lets you finesse those compound angle cuts a little better.

The $15 cut off tool I got at Wally World is the best one in my tool box, it out performs a name brand one I have that cost 5 times as much. Also the 3" wheels that HF sells that are made in Russia are the best bang for the buck, they out perform the 3M wheels we use at work.
Not tryin to hijack, but how does the VW diesel do in your Samurai ???

I would also recommend the Milwaukee Portable-Bandsaw. I mounted mine to a purpose built mobile stand that shares space with an old De-Acro 12" finger brake. The Milwaukee is mounted on a SwagOffroad.com stand. The variable speed trigger feature on the saw is great for setting the appropriate speed for the material and blade tooth count being used.
image.jpg
I have a H-Freight foot pedal mounted to the front right leg, so that I can turn the unit on and off with my knee.

image.jpg

The main difference between a metal saw and a wood saw is the blade speed (metal saws run much slower). If you try to cut steel at higher speeds, you just end up destroying blades. I know some saws can be retrofitted to cut metal, but I have not done this, so I can't point you at a model. I will say that the HF model you linked doesn't look very "robust".

What about a portaband? I have seen several builds where people basically turned them into small vertical saws. Blades are widely available too.

I see this craftsman saw on craigslist, It says two speed but doesn't say what speeds they are.

What do you think about it?

http://flint.en.craigslist.org/tls/4583885675.html

And by the way, what speed would be appropriate for exhaust tubing?

Thanks,

Wayne

I just saw another one on there, the owner says it gear driven and that it has a high band speed. I'm guessing you could switch the gears around to make it run slow.

here it is...http://flint.en.craigslist.org/tls/4570143800.html

Back