The way it was.

In the 60's Craftsman was King. I have a complete set of their Professional combination wrenches both SAE and Metric. They were made before Craftsman broke their loyalty pledge of "Lifetime Guarantee" Now I avoid them. I rarely use the good stuff now and my go to are Pittsburg from H/F.I expect H/F stock price tripled when Craftsman broke their pledge. I won't waste any time describing my disdain for Craftsman and BIG TOOL. U know what I mean.
Nice drill, but where are the mud dauber nests?

You say all that, but here is one thing I find interesting...

I learnt to use a Jigsaw my father had owned for many-a-year in his profession as a "wood bootician" (Master carpenter). It was a 1970s Bosch PST50. I could cut a line in material as straight as a scale (Rule). At the time, I was not even 13yo.

20 years later I purchased a jigsaw for myself when I needed one and damned if I could get anywhere near a straight line, despite consistently using a jigsaw over the years for various different jobs. I tried different grip methods, tried using guides, tried various blade types, but nothing could solve the issue. Replaced that jigsaw with a modern Bosch blue "Professional" range jigsaw (gave the other jigsaw to a friend after giving it a clean and service) and, again, near straight cuts, but not straight.

Decided to acquire a PST50 for myself (long after my father had passed and his tools were sold, much to my chagrin!) and hey presto, I can cut a straight line again, just as perfectly as I always could. Can't explain it, don't even want to try to explain it. All I know is this old PST50 is the only jigsaw I can cut a straight line with. I suspect the "foot" has a lot to do with it.

This PST50 is still extremely clean for being at least 45 years old at bare inimum and still runs like new. It is a Scintilla SA Switzerland built unit. 240V, 1.5A, 350W, 3000RPM.

Even the foot is remarkably clean for the age of it and yes, I use it very regularly for a number of things, including slicing barstock of. Had to cut some 2" 6082 T6 aluminium with it and it breezed through that too where my more modern Bosch jigsaw struggled.

SAM_0245.JPG

SAM_0247.JPG

SAM_0246.JPG

In addition to the drill, I also had a Craftsman router, circular saw, and die grinder as well as a full set of SAE combination wrenches, box wrenches, and socket wrenches in 1/4" and 3/8" and screwdrivers. Most are still functioning after fifty years. The circular saw died a couple of years ago after cutting some 7/8" steel plate and 2" thick concrete silo staves with an abrasive wheel. The router armature fan blew up after sucking in some wood chips, and the variable speed switch on the die grinder died. I replaced the armature on the router at my expense after complaining to Sears about the poor design that allows debris to be sucked into the router when it is used with a router table.

Back in the seventies and eighties, I had several 3" aluminum C clamps that had a tendency to snap. I would take hem in and they would replace them. The last time I did so, the clerk complained that if I kept bringing them in for replacement, they couldn't make a profit on the sale, to which I replied it wasn't my fault that they made an inferior product. I agreed to take a lower cost cast iron clamp instead and still have those.

Screwdrivers tended to snap the tips rather than deforming, a failure mode which I prefer. Rather than have them replaced, I would just regrind the tips and I have most, if not all, of them still in use today.

I still have my Craftsman router but have not used it in almost 40 years. Maybe even longer. I did have a Radial Arm saw was almost brand new when I gave it to my son and he and I both forgot to check the motor for Mud Daubers and it burned up the motor when he was using it. My craftsman table saw works just as good as when I got it used almost 40 years ago. I have taken the motor apart 2 times and washed all the Mud Dauber nest out of it and now have screen wire covering the air intake and exhaust of the motor. They really did make some great tools it is just what is happening all over the industrial world now. Big Monopoly is buying up all the brand names and selling **** in the name of household brands. I have absolutely 0 ZERO -Guilt when I buy unbranded products any more. The fact is when a person buys Craftsman they are not buying Craftsman but buying the trademark. It's in every industry now. Thanks for your comments.

Back