Starting a South Bend 9C Restoration - Disassembling, Cleaning, Stripping, and (soon) Priming

ntdenman

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hi, it's nice to meet you all.

I wanted to put up a thread on a project I've recently started. I live in the middle of nowhere - well, not quite the middle of nowhere, but you can see it from here - in northern Alberta and so I haven't been spoiled for choice in terms of used machine tools I can find in my area. I ended up with a 1940 South Bend model 9C, which (in addition to no quick-change gearbox, power cross-feed, or threading dial) means plain bearings for the spindle! My hope is to give it a thorough cleaning and fixing-up, and have it as my 'daily driver' lathe as I get myself started in hobby machining.

Overall, it looks like the machine was not too heavily used but also not terribly well-cared-for. Here's a photo from the listing, before I got my hands on it:
Screenshot_20240501-172812.png
The cross-slide and compound nuts seem good, with no slop, and the spindle bearings look okay so far. The only really noticeable issue is that the ways are pretty heavily dinged-up near the headstock; I have vague plans of acquiring some precision-ground flat stones and stoning the worst of the bumps off, but that may need to wait until my budget recovers.

The first step was disassembly; I've got the whole thing (except the motor) down to individual parts and am currently cleaning it off and stripping the paint. For the time being, I'm coating the bare metal lightly with oil to prevent it rusting and hope to have it coated with primer before winter comes and ends the painting season.
PXL_20240704_180640069.jpg

Accessory-wise there is a steady rest which looks original - plain fingers with no rollers - a faceplate, a few dead centers, and an old three-jaw chuck. I'm still evaluating the motor, which does run alright, but I'm considering swapping in something with a bit more power to support heavier cuts.

The lantern-type tool post is a beauty, but I really want to pop an Aloris-style QCTP on there. I know it'll look really horrid and jarring but the convenience is hard to argue with.

I'd be curious to know folks' thoughts on paint for a lathe which is expected to see moderate use. At the moment I've got some Tremclad 'Rust Paint' primer for the base coat but I'm still considering whether to go for POR-15 engine enamel paint (about which I have heard many good things from Quinn at Blondihacks) or to just get a basic metal paint from my local hardware store.

In the event that I do get everything properly cleaned/scrubbed/stripped/primed and painted before winter begins, the next step will be ordering a few replacement parts. I found someone on eBay who offers rebuilding kits with the full set of felt wicks, wipers, and pads as well as replacement belting, which is definitely a must. Then, it'll be on to reassembly!

Anyways, I don't have a huge amount of shop time so it this may be kind of slow to update but I thought people might find it somewhat interesting and I will post updates and photos when I can.

Cheers,
Nolan

Whoa, that's old school.
No threading on that lathe.
It will be a very satisfying project. I kind of wish I had an old gem to tinker with.
Have fun

heavily used but also not terribly well-cared-for
As long as those cast iron bearings had lubrication I bet they are ok. They may need to be shimmed.
Pay close attention to disassembly of the headstock

I've found that Rustoleum enamel works fine on metal- brush or spray can
They have a smoke grey that looks good
If you had a change gear set you could do single point threading, but buying the gears separately can get expensive

Whoa, that's old school.
No threading on that lathe.
If you had a change gear set you could do single point threading, but buying the gears separately can get expensive

Oh, I missed mentioning them, there's a pile of change gears. They're a bit rusty but I think they're all there!

I've found that Rustoleum enamel works fine on metal- brush or spray can
They have a smoke grey that looks good
To tell the truth, I'm looking at mid-life-crisis-car red. Hardly original but very tempting.

Welcome to the group. You will find lots of support here.
You have a nice old classic piece of iron. Dings and scrapes are normal and add character. As long as it isn't completely worn out you will get good use out of it.
The quick change tool post will make life easier and shop time more enjoyable, but don't overlook the learning that you get from a little lantern post time. Get some HSS blanks and follow Quinn on how to grind your own bits. You won't regret the experience, even if you move on to more modern items.
Think of it as learning to drive a stick shift before an automatic which is much easier than doing it the other way around. :)
Looking forward to your reports of progress.

NICE machine! The SB 9" is a true classic! Well worth the effort to bring into the modern day.

You will need a threading dial, and, of course, the appropriate change gears, in order to do threading, but otherwise that machine is perfectly capable.

There are countless members here that have/had similar machines, and there is huge aftermarket for those machines. You are in a good place.

Good luck with your journey!

Congratulations!

Color doesn't really matter. I would NOT recommend POR-15 for your paint. Instead, follow one of the previous recommendations, and paint it with an enamel.

One thing I always recommend is spending $50 at grizzly and having them send a sales card through email. It should tell you about your lathe (though you might still have tags on yours detailing what it really is, mine did not, and gave me model info along with who it was sold to).

Oh, and do the quick change tool post. I did that with my "junior" from 1930, and it is a great upgrade.

Welcome to the family!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I was gonna suggest just learning how to run it before taking it apart.
And about that time frame some SB lathes could actually be purchased in red, not sure how long that option lasted.
You have change gears, now buy a 3D printed thread dial, & also roller fingers for the center rest if you want.
Both cheap on eBay etc,etc.
Resist the urge to fool around with the plain cast iron headstock bearings until you use it a bit, they are very robust, just keep them oiled.
Yes,QCTP also good idea, 4 jaw Chuck also good, both relatively cheap on Amazon.
Above all, Have Fun

Go with a 3 HP 3PH motor, you need that much power to run a SB9, and invest in lots of carbide, you need that for the .100" cuts you will be making........

Back