Speed limits across the country !

A lot of US80 through Nevada has a 80mph speed limit
It is common to see 70mph speed limits on major California highways, but there are even more 55mph limits on 2 lane highways

I just drove from St Louis to Phoenix and back. The only stretch of 80 I saw was in Oklahoma. Most of the rest was 75 or less. I pulled into Amarillo just in time for 80 mph wind gusts and hail, but the speed limit was 75.

Eric

Highways are usually 65-70 here in Illinois. My life isnt busy enough for that limit to be a hindrance. Although, judging by what I see, it’s way too slow for most.

Before the gas shortage of 1974 Montana and Nevada didn't have any speed limits posted on their Interstates. The signs simply advised motorists to drive at "speeds safe for conditions".

As for Texas I worked there for quite a while in the 1980's and 90's. If you were only going 80 mph it wasn't uncommon to be passed on the shoulder by someone in a pickup truck going in excess of 90 mph.

I think I5 has 70mph but I guess that’s only for trucks(!) as I was doing 80 and had people trying to crawl up my tailpipe every time I tried to get in the fast lane to pass a truck! Last month after no road trips for years we had to go to Las Vegas then two weeks later Tahoe for a wedding and it was like being on the set of Roadwarrior. Glad to be off the road and out of the insanity.

Interstate in Idaho is generally 80mph. State highways range from 55 to 75mph, depending on where it is. I generally drive around 83-84 on the Interstate and 5mph over on the state highways, if possible and prudent.

I wonder how many pay attention to tire speed ratings. The Michelins on our motorhome are rated for continuous speeds of 75 mph.

I’m sure there’s a 20% or so safety factor but I have no intention to see if the motorhome will go that fast to test the tires.

Back