Solid tool post for 1130v?

rronald

Registered
Registered
I'm looking at doing a solid tool post for my 1130v to improve tool holding rigidity.

Seems wise to see if anyone else has done this. I'm sure that my initial ideas on the subject are not going to be as well though out as someone who has completed the project.

I'm also curious about threading without the compound. I've found several posts that indicate the compound isn't essential for threading.

RR

I'm sure it would probably help with parting off and knurling
You can thread without a compound- I do
I should clarify- I have the compound but I don't do the 29.5 degree method nowadays

Last edited:
Not the same machine (1127 here). But the basic idea is the same. Accurately measure the height from the cross slide base to the top of the compound. That's the height. I made mine to overlap the cross slide surface and use the t-slots for mounting the block. Then make a stud to hold the QCTP down. It doesn't have to end up perfect, your tool holders will get you a fair bit of adjustment. Try to hit it close though, it simplifies adjusting the holders later.

I only swap to the compound when I want to turn tapers. Threading will have higher tool forces, but don't go nuts with the DOC and you will be fine. Remember that you are removing material from both sides equally, so you have to adjust how deep your passes are. Other than that, no changes needed.

This is a pic of my block on the machine with my knurler mounted. One change since then is that I'm using one of the bolts that goes through to the t-nuts to hold the tool post on the block. I ran into as issue with it loosening the way I had it before.

The main block is 7075 Aluminum. The top is precision ground steel. Only chosen because I had it on the shelf, the ground nature isn't required for this. If I had a block of cast iron available, that would have been my first choice, but the stuff was pretty expensive at the time, and the aluminum is holding up fine. The holes in the top of the steel are there to access the cap screws under it with a hex key. Keeps the top flat. Overall, it has been working great and does stiffen things up a fair bit.

This is just what I came up with to use what I had around. There are a million ways to do this, so pick one that works for you. One thing I would have changed if I had a bigger block available, would be to make it a little wider so the bolts holding it down are accessible with the QCTP (or other tool) mounted. It hasn't been a big enough issue to make a new one, but if I were starting at the beginning, that is something I would change.

20210612_181426.jpg

Here's what NOT to do.

I made one and just thought that if the height was in the ballpark, it'd be fine because the QCTP holders are all adjustable. Well, that's great until you need to put the compound back on to turn a quick taper. Now you have to reset the tool height. And you have to do it yet again when the solid tool post mount goes back on the machine.

Second one I made with careful attention to matching the height of the compound mount. Now I can switch back and forth between solid and compound and rarely need to fiddle with tool heights.

Recommend steel or CI

I did not consider having to adjust when switching. I did end up getting very, very close on mine, so it never came up. But that is a good tip!

Check this out regarding 29.5 degrees:

I went out and cut a couple of threads at 90 degrees (straight in). Seemed fine. There was no chatter and a continuous chip came off nice and smooth. And since I'm new to this, my reduction in DOC as the cutting proceeded was a bit irregular, thus the amount removed was likely more than recommended at times. I did a couple of spring passes at the end and the result seemed good.

Not the same machine (1127 here). But the basic idea is the same. Accurately measure the height from the cross slide base to the top of the compound. That's the height. I made mine to overlap the cross slide surface and use the t-slots for mounting the block. Then make a stud to hold the QCTP down. It doesn't have to end up perfect, your tool holders will get you a fair bit of adjustment. Try to hit it close though, it simplifies adjusting the holders later.

I only swap to the compound when I want to turn tapers. Threading will have higher tool forces, but don't go nuts with the DOC and you will be fine. Remember that you are removing material from both sides equally, so you have to adjust how deep your passes are. Other than that, no changes needed.

This is a pic of my block on the machine with my knurler mounted. One change since then is that I'm using one of the bolts that goes through to the t-nuts to hold the tool post on the block. I ran into as issue with it loosening the way I had it before.

The main block is 7075 Aluminum. The top is precision ground steel. Only chosen because I had it on the shelf, the ground nature isn't required for this. If I had a block of cast iron available, that would have been my first choice, but the stuff was pretty expensive at the time, and the aluminum is holding up fine. The holes in the top of the steel are there to access the cap screws under it with a hex key. Keeps the top flat. Overall, it has been working great and does stiffen things up a fair bit.

This is just what I came up with to use what I had around. There are a million ways to do this, so pick one that works for you. One thing I would have changed if I had a bigger block available, would be to make it a little wider so the bolts holding it down are accessible with the QCTP (or other tool) mounted. It hasn't been a big enough issue to make a new one, but if I were starting at the beginning, that is something I would change.

View attachment 504987
I wish my cross slide had slots for the entire length like yours appear to go.. Mine only go part of the way and end before the point where the toolpost needs to go.

I'm looking at doing a solid tool post for my 1130v to improve tool holding rigidity.

Seems wise to see if anyone else has done this. I'm sure that my initial ideas on the subject are not going to be as well though out as someone who has completed the project.

I'm also curious about threading without the compound. I've found several posts that indicate the compound isn't essential for threading.

RR
You might find this document useful as you explore doing a solid tool post - at least in concept.

different lathe but same reasoning.
Mine is a welded construction, the top slide only goes back on for cutting tapers.
All threads cut at 90' up to 39mm x M4 so far, to fit the spindle.

Back